I need a DB meter please.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you hit 145 dB, don't worry, you are probably half deaf already. 135 dB peaks is enough to cause irreversible damage with half an hour. ( Please refer to the OSHA site) Just because you can jump off a cliff, does not mean you need to.

I believe they use calibrated instrumentation mics at the competitions. They cost more than your stereo and car but together. But if you must, just back off a few feet using a generic cheap SPL meter and do the math.

Low frequencies are much less harmful than 1 kHz. The weighting curves reflect that. Otherwise you'd be deaf from a slammed car door or swimming underwater.

Some strain gauge pressure sensors can be used as microphones up to very high SPLs. I remember reading that in a Sensym application guide. 150 dB SPL is only about 0.1 PSI. 170 dB is about 1 psi.

If you have one lying around, try the sensor from a barometer or altimeter, a MAP sensor from a car EFI system, or one salvaged from some medical instrument.

I also need to buy an SPL meter

Good day to all

I am refreshing this thread by placing my needs. Here we go:

The standard Radio Shack SPL meters, both - analog and digital, have served well till today. However, as we all know, they cannot measure SPL of low frequencies (well, the specs speak for a FR of 32-8000 Hz at C weighting and 500-10000 Hz at A weighting, but these are the theoretical two end limits) and at very low levels. As far the lowest level, these meters start their measurement range from the 60 dB point, which in some cases is much more than the required.

I am therefore looking for a meter that can go down to 25 or even 20 Hz and that can have a starting point from 40 or even 30 dB. Is there anything like this? Is it costly?

Thanks
-

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.