Sound level meter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good evening, gentle folk,

I have in mind a few projects that would require a sound power level meter: Sound proofing a room full of computers, building a power amp and speakers, writing a PC white/pink/sine generator and spectrum analyser.

I don't need a high-end expensive meter. But it would need to include calibration data. The Radio Shack 33-4050 would be ideal... but RS is no more in Canada. And the replacement (La Source) only has a digital meter.

Question : should I insist on getting an analog meter? Or is a digital meter just as good/better? I find a digital VOM to be a tad annoying; waiting that second or so for the display to update.

Good evening, gentle folk,

I have in mind a few projects that would require a sound power level meter: Sound proofing a room full of computers, building a power amp and speakers, writing a PC white/pink/sine generator and spectrum analyser.

I don't need a high-end expensive meter. But it would need to include calibration data. The Radio Shack 33-4050 would be ideal... but RS is no more in Canada. And the replacement (La Source) only has a digital meter.

Question : should I insist on getting an analog meter? Or is a digital meter just as good/better? I find a digital VOM to be a tad annoying; waiting that second or so for the display to update.
I don't have any experience with digital SPL measuring equipment - but, for the reasons you cited would be skeptical until seeing one work.

Sometimes analog is best. For general purpose SPL measurements I use a Simpson model 885 which is analog with a single meter and in the same class as the Radio Shack 33-4050. For more specific measurements, I use a Samson 31 band graphic RTA.

Can't you go online and order from Radio Shack?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.