HP8903A Service Manual, anyone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys!

So, I just got myself a 8903A HP Audio Analyzer and I need the Service Manual for it. I did find some manuals online, but they all seem to be incomplete, missing the calibration steps and circuit schematics.

Does any of you have the complete 8903A Service Manual??

Thank you very much for any help!

You can download the manual for the 8903B on Agilent | United States Home. The differences between the A and B models are:

- More highpass filters available as options on the B.
- The B has an actual differential input rather than pseudo-differential.

The calibration steps are similar, though, the component designators may differ. The function of each trimmer is marked on the board, though. Aside from the different filters and (I think) higher voltage tolerance on the IN/OUT LOW ports on the 8903B, the two instruments are identical in operation.

There are plenty of sellers on eBay who sell CD's with scans of service manuals. If you go that route, pay the extra couple of bucks to get a good quality scan (300 dpi for the text, 600 dpi for schematics). You can also buy the manuals. I got my paper manual (complete) for the 8903A on eBay for $85. Manuals Plus - Test Equipment Manuals is another source.

It's a sweet analyzer. I use mine a lot.

~Tom

Thanks for the tip, never crossed my mind to look for the 8903B manual. Anyway, why doesnt HP carry the 8903A manual? I know its an outdated instrument, but it aint THAT old...

I just bought this intrument and Im sure it should help me on my DIY projects. BTW, I just noticed Agilent has a (new?) U8903A analyzer (never heard about it), and it looks good! Too bad it costs a fortune! Here where I live it probably costs 2 fortunes hehehehe.

Either way, I'll still try to find the 8903A manual as I usually like to have the original manuals for my equipment. I dont know why, I just have to have it!

I've just taken delivery of my 8903A this week. The only issue with it was several keys has loss their 'bounce' due to the springs being dislodged. I've repaired some and just have two left to do. It doesn't effect the operation, though.

Annoyingly Agilent just have the first half of the service manual on their web site. A CD of the manual is avaialble on EBay for $9.95 plus shipping so I may go for that.

A question: I've gone through the Operator's Check in Section 3.9 of the 8903A manual. When I do the SINAD Meter Check I get a result or 18.5-19 dB but the manual says this "should be around 14 dB". I notice the 8903B manual says the value should be between 12 and 19 dB.

Is my machine out of spec. or getting close to being out of spec.?

Regards,

Peter

I've just taken delivery of my 8903A this week. The only issue with it was several keys has loss their 'bounce' due to the springs being dislodged. I've repaired some and just have two left to do. It doesn't effect the operation, though.

Annoyingly Agilent just have the first half of the service manual on their web site. A CD of the manual is avaialble on EBay for $9.95 plus shipping so I may go for that.

A question: I've gone through the Operator's Check in Section 3.9 of the 8903A manual. When I do the SINAD Meter Check I get a result or 18.5-19 dB but the manual says this "should be around 14 dB". I notice the 8903B manual says the value should be between 12 and 19 dB.

Is my machine out of spec. or getting close to being out of spec.?

Regards,

Peter

Not sure whats the exact value that it should read, but for comparison purposes mine reads 16dB.
If you do get the Service Manual from Ebay let me know. A CD version is not really good for me as I'd pay lots for shipping and it would take forever to get here, so Im looking for a downloadable version...

Not sure whats the exact value that it should read, but for comparison purposes mine reads 16dB.
If you do get the Service Manual from Ebay let me know. A CD version is not really good for me as I'd pay lots for shipping and it would take forever to get here, so Im looking for a downloadable version...

I'll PM you once it's arrived.

Another question - when you select SINAD does your meter go to full scale deflection i.e. 24 dB? I hope it does as mine does!

Regards,

Peter

I found this page which carries a downloadable version of the manual: ARTEK MEDIA

I think I'll buy it.

Regarding the analog meter, my meter reads withing 1dB of the digital display. So, my digital display gives me 16dB and my analog meter gives me 16.5dB. But thats only on the check where the notch filter is locked (SP 6.1). If I dont lock and change the source frequency, the digital meter reads 83dB and the analog meter goes full scale (as expected, since the dB reading is 83dB, much higher than the meters full scale).

Complex instrument, with microcontroller system -- complex troubleshooting.

Break it into pieces -- oscillator and analyzer, then break each into pieces and look at a section at a time from input to output. Get a section working, then move on. Take your time. Fortunately, very few exotic parts -- most of the opamps are 5534s.

Good luck.

Complex instrument, with microcontroller system -- complex troubleshooting.

Break it into pieces -- oscillator and analyzer, then break each into pieces and look at a section at a time from input to output. Get a section working, then move on. Take your time. Fortunately, very few exotic parts -- most of the opamps are 5534s.

Good luck.
Thanks
i guess I'd need extender boards to look at the ckt while its powered up. I dont' have those though. :(
it cannot be that bad because it does read voltage and frequency. frequency is correct and the voltage changes with amplitude in. its just way off. 1.4mv instead of 1v. adjustments seem to do nothing.

Just an idea:
You could have a look at the component(s) that are prone to aging.
The 8903 is not a real youngster anymore.:)

As frequency seems oke, and assuming a fault in the amplifier board I would certainly inspect all the electrolitics.

So from the manual C17, 100uF input cap, would be on top of the list.
Check the powersupply voltages for the amplfier before.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.