How to calibrate Fluke 87 meter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have the newer 34410A which I mainly purchased for audio use as it does quite a few things better in that area than a handheld portable DMM can. I also like to use the 34410A for data acquisition where it can be monitored remotely via LAN or internet. Fluke does a great job with handheld DMMs (although I haven't tried the new Agilent models) but, IMHO, Agilent offers better bench meters. Fluke is behind in that area.

I'm also considering to get a 34410A (price is $1.3 k) over 34401A ($1.1 k) due to LXI and USB connectivity. Is it worth the investment? I'll be using it for pre and power amplifier design (and possibly class D in the future).

The ethernet connectivity can be really useful under some circumstances. Beware of any meter with a USB interface that's not fully isolated. They're nearly worthless for a lot of measurements because the meter ends up grounded via the USB connection. The better meters (i.e. Fluke, etc.) isolate their PC interfaces. Ethernet is inherently isolated so it's always a safe bet.

The only thing I don't like about my 34410A is the fan makes some audible noise. So I tend use my Fluke 87 and 189 most of the time unless I need something they can't do. But for basic audio work, the 189 does dB, has a wide flat audio bandwidth, etc. So it's likely all most people need. You can also get the isolated USB interface and software for it and it can do standalone data logging. The new Fluke 289 adds even more.

You can always just use a calculator to find dB. I still think the 34110A is overkill depending on your budget. You can buy some really nice audio equipment for the price of the 34110! You might want to look at this with ethernet:

Rigol DM3085

It is much less expensive but similar to the Agilent. Rigol makes Agilent's lower-end scopes (such as the DSO1000 and MSO1000 series) but I've never used their DMMs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.