My new bench power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For years and years I have been doing all kinds of experiments without the luxury of having a proper bench power supply. I always got by with small lead acid batteries or a transformer with some diodes and caps hanging off it. You know the story... :rolleyes: Well the time had come to finally bite the bullet and build something useful. So here it is. First six pots (locking, 10 turn) are for 1.25 to 20v,1 amp all floating wrt to each other. Next one is 1.25 to 140v at 1 amp or less depending on output voltage. Last 2 pots are for + / - 1.25 to 40v 1 amp with a common earth. Also the full 40v at several amp unregulated is available. That sould be enough I think. The thing is mostly based on LM317 regs; the 140v output has a mosfet source follower that feeds the LM317 20 volts higher than whatever the output voltage is. Looks just like a cascode cct actually. As usual, made almost entirely of second hand junk. This is such a shock, me making somethng useful and almost tidy. Next thing you know I'll be digging the garden. :eek:

Attachments

• dcp_3213.jpg
    dcp_3213.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 453
Spy satellite photo.

davesaudio said:
top pic:
what's on the left side middle (front to rear)?
I will eventually :eek: put some binding posts on the thing. It will probably go through a process of refinement. For example, I am already thinking of making the +/- 40v rails properly current limited and higher rating too.

Attachments

• thing on top.jpg
    thing on top.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 342
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.