Crazy issues with an Heathkit oscilloscope

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was given an old IO-12 oscilloscope by Heathkit. It seemed to work but :

- The crazy thing runs at 400 to 1500 VDC (tube oscilloscope) and comes... with a two prongs main plug. Checking inside, the enclosure isn't connected to anything anywhere either.

- They used a rotary on-off switch integrated onto a potentiometer as power switch, to switch thus 220VAC. After powering the unit a few times, it started to create crazy sparks at start up to finally end up in fire (tripping my home fuses of course).

What should I do ?

- Strip it for parts ? It has a nice transformer, plenty of switches, some good tubes, etc..
- Try to make it safe ? I'd have to replace the power cord, find a way to earth it, replace the power switch, replace some old electrolytic caps.
- Sell it on ebay for spares ?

I'd say sell it on ebay, inform the buyers of its problems and let someone else have the fun of restoring it. I used to have one, and aside from a horizontal amplitude problem (I didn't know anything at the time) it was OK. Certainly didn't have any sparks and it well assembled. Looked great too. too bad I trashed it. I hate myself for that.

Sell it on ebay. or should I say "fleabay" like geek! lol

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.