Accurate 20Hz THD measurement?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can anyone running a sound card audio analysis setup give me some pointers how to get accurate THD measurements at 20Hz?

I tried lowering the bandwidth and upping the FFT resolution settings. It helped some, but It is still far off. Waveform on the scope looks clean, but THD measurement says %60. This is a problem I have with every software package I have tried.

Hi Jeb-D,
As Scott implies, you should avoid second or third harmonic to be right at the mains harmonic.
What you are going to measure ?
I am interested in measuring harmonic distorsion at very low frequencies to detect non-linearities due to thermal effects in transistorised circuits.

Scott,
That was a very good idea, but it happens even with the soundcard output is plugged straight into the input. I'd think that the amount of 60Hz residual to cause a %60ish THD reading would defiantly be visible on the scope. Eventhough 20Hz is the worst, the high distortion issue seems to occur at any frequency 100Hz or below(approximately).

What you are going to measure ?

Once I figure out what is wrong with the setup, a vacuum tube amplifier. Distortion is always the worst in the low frequencies because of output transformer limitations.

It's got to be some driver, setting or other software thing with my PC. I just have to keep looking into it. I have no patients when it comes trouble shooting computer issues. Aside from issue mentioned, everything seems to be working. 1kHz THD measurements seem accurate.

i wonder if it's a sampling window problem. there are settings for some software that depending on your sampling rate, the software can only store and process a certain number of samples. if one cycle of the waveform is longer than this processing window, you don't process a whole cycle of signal, and this is interpreted as distortion. if the THD reading goes down as you select a lower sampling rate, this is probably what is happening.

if one cycle of the waveform is longer than this processing window, you don't process a whole cycle of signal, and this is interpreted as distortion.

That was it! There was a setting in the oscilloscopes control panel. I thought it just adjusted the scopes view window, but it was adjusting the record time along with it. I usually ignore the SW oscilloscope, because I have a real one connected.

Often this is a software feedback issue. In the Windows mixer: For the OUTPUT only wav should be enabled and nothing else. If also mic-in/line-in is enabled for the sound out, you’ll get feedback that way that disturbs your measurements.

I will will be sure to do so as a precautionary measure.

Thanks guys!

glad to be of help..... been using spectrum lab for audio analysis and i've learned a few things...... BTW like the DEVO avatar..... the place i work has an equipment status called DEVO where the equipment is non-serviceable. i use one of their album cover pics as a sticky note for DEVO items.

I'll check it out. I usually use Visual Analyser (yes, they spell it Analyser not Analyzer) which is freeware too. It's pretty lame, but useful and the price is right.

Right now, I'm using an evaluation of Multi-instrument 3.1. It's pretty nifty and has a lot of capabilities, but the user-interface isn't that good. I'm in the process of giving them some feedback how it can be improved. They seem eager to make it as good as they can.

It has a feature called "device test plan", which is pretty much similar to the "sweep" function with an Audio Precision (if your fimiliar). You can setup and run automated frequency and amplitude sweeps while capturing all kinds of data such as THD, THD+N, SNR, IMD, Crosstalk, individual harmonics (2nd-7th), ect. It can create graphs or text data of things like input vs. output amplitude, THD vs. Frequency, THD vs. output level, and so fourth.

I set it up to do an inverse RIAA amplitude + frequency sweep. So when tuning the curve of my phono stage, I just have to try to get the plotted line flat. Makes things much simpler, as I no longer have to compare the amplitude at each frequency to published RIAA curve data every time an adjustment is made.

I'm considering buying it once the evaluation period ends, but may not be able to afford it at this time. So I may need some good freeware till then.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.