DIY square wave oscillator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone have a decent quality design for a square wave generator, running from 1 kHz to 2.5 MHz ? Of all the designs I've looked at, the VCO's out there are way up in the Megahertz range, no where close to the range I am looking for. 555 timer based circuits do not work well at 2.5MHz, so that's out.

Ideally, I would like to build my own circuit board containing a simple square wave generator. There will be an additional circuit following this square wave, of course, but that portion I have figured out. Entire assembly will mount inside an enclosure, producing 1.21 gigawatts. :-O Voltage rails are flexible, but 5V would be ideal. I would buy a dedicated IC if I could find one appropriate for the range of operation I am looking for.

Other requirements I can think of is 50% duty cycle. I can use a divide by 2 circuit to guarantee this, but then I will need a 2k to 5M range of operation. Stable frequency. Simple control, pot or encoder. Range switches are not too desirable, but I can deal with it if necessary.

Thanks for the ideas.

There are a few threads out there about square wave generators, it depends what frequency and stability you want.

I'd be tempted to build a DDS, convert the sine to square (you can probably feed it direct into a bit of ECL) and then divide that down to get in the range you want. With a synchronous counter you get octaves at every tap, so you only need an octave of tuning range. No analog design involved, you can get a few DDS boards from ham radio sources.

w

There's many ways

One difficulty is resolution over such a wide range. I would make a basic ring oscillator with 74HC14, and use a potentiometer to adjust frequency across a 16x or so range, perhaps 150kHz to 2.5MHz.

Use an MC14040 12 bit divider to provide 16x ranges or so by tapping Q4 (/16) Q8 (/256) and Q12 (/4096). THis puts the minimum frequency around 36Hz.

A SP4T switch selects the range you want

The VCO section of the cheap 74HC4046 PLL chips makes a nice square wave generator (and it can be voltage controlled, you can use a pot to adjust frequency). Can cover a very wide range, but for very low frequencies here's a second vote for the suggestion made above-- to use a bank of frequency dividers. That gives a guaranteed 50% duty cycle, and you need to only calibrate frequency once, since the divide by 2^N is precise.

Why not do it using one of those small microcontrollers?
Many of them go to 20MHz clock speeds or more. It
seems your desired freq range could be possible. You
could hook up a rotary encoder and LCD display too. Or you can use
a analog input to read a pot to control the freq.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.