Hickok 600A, shattered mercury rectifier...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just got this on eBay, and the 83 broke during shipping. So, I put it in the garage until I decide how to proceed!

Fortunately the spill is self-contained inside, but who knows how much of the unit is contaminated. I'm guessing this is thermometer levels of contamination... Should I dust the wood case with zinc powder and clean it up with sticky tape? Follow the basic EPA instructions for small spills? What's the best way to do this?

My concern is that it has probably been shaken up a bit, so the wiring etc could easily be contaminated, too :dead:

FedEx claim??? This one was a pretty good deal, too :bawling:

Quick update: got some gloves and threw the tube and the big glass pieces into a ziplock. Only a 1" diameter hole in the tube, so the total spill is probably on the order of mgs - some clearly remains in the tube. Some fine glass particles and/or Hg blobs are visible at the bottom of the case. I can pick up some zinc or sulfur tomorrow, for the sake of being thorough... But maybe with such low volume I can get the rest with duct tape. Any advice is very welcome!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.