Mulitmeters?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all, I didnt really know where to post this, but I would like to get a multimeter for Christmas, so that i can measure the actual output and performance of my projects. I dont know much about multimeters, so I dont know what to look for in one. I do know however that Fluke makes a quality product, and would like to get one. Any suggestions for a specific model or for certain attributes to look for?
Thanks in advance ;)

Well, since this is an audio forum, I presume you talking about audio projects:

Problems for audio measurements, things to look out for:
Most 'affortable' multimeters don't measure RMS voltages.
Frequency responses are limited to maybe 1kHz
They dont accurately measure low voltages as found on many preamp audio signal paths.

A frequency counter, a capacitance range, and a transistor check option might be nice extras.

Those LCD oscilloscope types are WONDERFUL, but WAY expensive.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Something like the Fluke 87 or 83 would also get my recommendation. (true rms, 200kHz BW in some cases)

Some (older) Fluke (both handheld and bench) models have the dB relative feature which is very handy for doing frequency response measurements.

What is your budget and are you looking for, a bench type or handheld?

Good new ones go for as much as $300, however there are many good, inexpensive, used Flukes (in particular) on eBay at any given time.

The ones to look if you are getting only one good one would be:

Fluke, Agilent (HP) and Keithley.

Many of the meters made by these manufacturers are virtually accident proof which will pay for itself in saved time and aggravation. Ever try to measure a voltage when the meter was set to measure resistance? - you'll know exactly what I am talking about.. Cheap meter bye bye! :devilr:

A couple of really cheap meters permanently dedicated to voltage/current measurements are very handy for general lab work, but not in lieu of one really good meter.

Thanks for the advice so far :) My budget is very limited because I am a college student. I am assuming that I am going to getting money for Christmas from my parents, but they are not "rich", so I would need to foot the rest myself. I would probably like to spend no more than 150, but if I found a great deal I would fork out the extra money, but no more than $175.

Also, would these maybe to on sale for on Black Friday?

If you are not looking for a portable battery powered unit I would recommend to get a second hand Keithley 197 or better still HP 3478A - you can pick one up on ebay for about $100-150, for example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...313100030%09&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_fvi=1

It has excellent DC precision, frequency response, true RMS, and even GPIB interface. I am using one in my home lab and very happy with it.

Alex

If you're buying your first DVM, just getting started, don't bother spending a bunch of dough on anything fancy -- you can get really adequate performance from a Radio Shack unit costing less than $50. Save your money for an oscilloscope.

When I started out I had an Eico VTVM -- this in the 1960's -- still own it today as nothing will kill it -- I have a Fluke 177 which is in operation all the time, a Radio Shack unit made in Germany which was less than $100 and has an RS232 port, measures transistors, frequency, caps etc.

Thank you all for your replys :) That harbor freight meter actually looks like a great deal for what I would be doing because Im not that intense yet. That would give me time to save up for a good one later on.

Im not hell-bent on having a battery powered meter. I think a non-batter powered one could possibly be even better.

any other ideas :D

Sounds like your after a good inexpensive utility meter, so be sure to check out the frequent specials at MCM.
I got a WAVETEK Meterman 10XL for less than $20 and in comparison to my friend Fluke has the same level of accuracy and totally suitable for most functions.

I have the Cen-Tech meter. While it is useful for measuring DC (power supply and such), it is not very useful for measuring the signal path.

The smallest AC range for that meter is 200V with a 0.1V resolution. Combining that with a 1.2% +- 10 digit accuracy, the meter officially has a potential 100% inaccuracy for anything under 2.5V.

If you want to mesure the signal path, get something that has single digit ACV or even better AC mV range.

If you want to trouble shoot intermitten issues, something that has fast peak/max/min or fast logging will be useful.

For under $150, you can get a high-end Meterman handheld(which is owned by Fluke).

If you are on a tight budget and want logging, you may want to stay away from GPIB. I haven't seen a well supported GPIB/PC adaptor for under $150. I learned the lesson first hand when I bought a HP 3457a on impluse (for under $200 with yet to expire Cal). It is a very nice instrument standalone, but will be much more useful if connected to a PC. I don't know if I can justisfy 3/4 of is price to get a PCI GPIB card...

slam said:
If you are on a tight budget and want logging, you may want to stay away from GPIB. I haven't seen a well supported GPIB/PC adaptor for under $150. I learned the lesson first hand when I bought a HP 3457a on impluse (for under $200 with yet to expire Cal). It is a very nice instrument standalone, but will be much more useful if connected to a PC. I don't know if I can justisfy 3/4 of is price to get a PCI GPIB card...

This is diverting from the thread-starter's purpose -- note that with GPIB you can daisy-chain many instruments -- and you can program it in Basic or C.

FWIW, HP 3468's and 3478's seem to be going quite cheaply. These are lab type instruments -- I have one of each. The bargains are starting to show up again on EBay.

jackinnj said:

This is diverting from the thread-starter's purpose -- note that with GPIB you can daisy-chain many instruments -- and you can program it in Basic or C.

FWIW, HP 3468's and 3478's seem to be going quite cheaply. These are lab type instruments -- I have one of each. The bargains are starting to show up again on EBay.

Agreed. For automation of multiple instruments GPIB is very useful. If I have GPIB gears, I will definitely consider it.

I also got a Fluke 287 almost half retail. Recently Fluke has a (rather substential) firmware upgrade on it and they will send you a USB data cable FREE if you don't have one to perform the upgrade. With that cable and a simple C# program, I was able to log 10 AC readings per second. You do pay more for Fluke, but their service is hard to beat.

To the OP, another meter you can consider is the Uni-trend UT81B. It is a very low end scopemeter costing under $200 new on e-bay. While it doesn't have max/min and I found a bug on their AC coupling, you will have a lot more fun than a multimeter alone.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.