MAX038 Sine Wave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I built up a MAX038. I get a sine wave with the peaks slightly skewed. Does not matter what frequency it is set to.
The supply voltages are +/- 4.92V.

What causes this slight shift? Any ideas what to look for?

I used this circuit:

www.kitsrus.com/pdf/k101.pdf

Thanks.

Attachments

• sine1.jpg
    sine1.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 189
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You need to lift pin 7 (DADJ) from GND and make it adjustable between a volt or so pos and neg - something like the FINE adjust but then between + and -. That will let you adjust the symmetry of the waveform.
One way to test it is to look at the square wave output (NOT the sync output - that is always 50%) and adjust as best as possible for 50% duty cycle.

It's all in the data sheet, by the way...

Jan Didden

Doesn't look like a symmetry problem. I'd rather say there is some leak from the square wave to the sinewave, perhaps caused by charge injection or something similar.
Might be caused by a poor layout, or it could happen internally in the MAX038. Even if this is the case you could correct it by injecting a square of opposite phase into the sine output, through a high value resistor f.e.

actually, I just cut and pasted a sine wave from the wave
to show as an example of what I see on the oscilloscope :)

my respects to your great attention to detail. ;)

I had the max 038 part so I wanted to give it a try.
it's working but not great so I need to spend some more
time on it.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Bengali said:
actually, I just cut and pasted a sine wave from the wave
to show as an example of what I see on the oscilloscope :)

my respects to your great attention to detail. ;)

I had the max 038 part so I wanted to give it a try.
it's working but not great so I need to spend some more
time on it.

So maybe there isn't a problem at all. Maybe a pic of the scope screen would be more clear.

Jan Didden

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.