Workbench safety practices?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I worked in a electronics shop at my highschool and we had to follow OSHA guidelines for safety and that meant all workbenches had to have GFCI outlets installed. From what i remember even the outlets along the walls for the cleaning crew were GFCI's too.

My question is, how many of you have installed GFCI outlets at your workbench? I'm using a regular outlet at mine but I'm going to change that soon.

theAnonymous1 said:
A GFCI does little good if you're servicing double insulated class 2 equipment. ;)

True, you still have to use your head when working on all equipment. And really the only time i have something plugged in is when i'm testing, setting bias/dc offset and then i use alligator test leads. I can't think i've ever really had my hands inside a unit when it was plugged in. I have a portable oscope so the only test equipment i use that runs on AC power is a benchtop power supply and my computer which doubles as a signal generator.

RCBO is a circuit breaker version of the GFCI outlet. It goes in place of normal circuit breakers instead of the outlets and is probably the better solution of the two...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.