Neutrik RT-1M

Neutrik RT-1m and rt-eval

I also own an RT-1M from ebay. I have found several application notes and the user manual but haven't found a public copy of rt-eval (and I don't have a spare $1500 to contribute to the Neutrik sucker fund javascript:smilie(':dead:')). Can you help me out?

RT-1M

How embarrassing. I have made so few posts that I am still on probation and prohibited from emailing a member directly.

You could use the following address if you remove the two spaces between the first three words: "my spam box@comcast.net"

I know it looks a bit strange, but I claimed that address early for obvious reasons.

If comcast.net bounces your message, let me know and I will arrange an ftp account.

I'm getting excited. I have a fresh copy of Winders on a dual core AMD box ready to fry some speakers :bigeyes: !

I also want to know how the Neutrik RT-1M compares with my HP8903A as a distortion analyzer and high purity signal source. If specs don't lie :nownow: then it can do pretty much what the HP8903 does (except smooth sweep) without breaking a sweat.

Considering that my RT-1M cost $65 including shipping vs $450-$650 for an HP8903, and my Phillips PM5193 has low distortion sweeps, the HP8903 could soon find itself on the road again.

Thanks.

Semi-functional, now looking for the accursed LabView Drivers

I have (incredibly!!!) 3 of these babies from ebay working using the RT-eval code, which is pretty clunky. We are thinking of making something fancier and more useful for a code front end, but I can't find a Labview 6 driver (it's all I have) for this item (NI has only version 7 and later). does anybody have such a thing? It was on the original mythical CD, but I can understand if this is now lost forever. if anybody is interested in making a better control program for this, feel free to email me, we will make anything we come up with available here. We may have to go the VB route to do it. Has anyone ever seen any kind of service or cal manual for this item? NTI just laughed at me, but no doubt they could find one for another $1500.

My cheap USB to GPIB adaptor is working great for this and other stuff. See the earlier post for full details.

all the best,
walter

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Walter,

I do have the RT-2M reference manual, which has the block diagrams, references for all commands, sample app programs, a section on how to do multitone testing, a section listing the differences between RT-1M and RT-2M (they are very similar), and a lot of other tech info like command bus structure. Do you have that? If not, drop me an email to jan at linearaudio dot nl and I'll mail it to you.

jd

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
RT-1M firmware 3.10

Hello guys,

After a long time I have again switched on my RT-1M, but still errors.
A long shot: does anyone happen to have a user manual or reference manual for the RT-1M, firmware version 3.10 or earlier?
I'm looking for the list of commands implemented in 3.10 or before.

Thanks,

Jan Didden
Linear Audio

RT-EVAL for RT-1M

Hi all,
I found this thread when searching for any details related to RT-1M. Just a short hint about RT-EVAL:
I received a copy of RT-EVAL-software (last version available for RT1M) from a German sales person. You may try to contact him via nord (at) akustiktest.de and ask him for a version, if required.
See you, Jan

Hi Mr. Didden,

I'm happily using the RT2M for some 8 years by now.
I do use the RT-Eval and I use the RS232 port to control the RT2M. So probably also you don't need the IEEE488 card.
I also purchased a licence from Neutrik, to be able to run also sweep test. Nice piece of equipment I have to say though a bit limited (upper freq 20KHz, sampling 48KHz...

Regards,

Back in 2011 I bought a RT-2M unit, used, with blown PSU. The PSU repair was easy. Since then the project rested due to lack of time and serial-interface issues. Yesterday (finally!) I was able to establish a solid serial-connection on Win7 with a Digitus FTDI-2-USB converter and a null-modem-adapter. Not so difficult and also works fine with RT-EVAL. It is a shame, that only the multitone functionality is available in standard version of RT-EVAL.

Personally I think, that multitone testing is quite useful for fast production testing of low fidelity consumer equipment, but not for the casual hobbyist and R&D work. Maybe someday I'll script some stuff for the stepped sine analysis, but since any decent soundcard has better performance level this is only necessary if the feature-rich analog frontend is really needed.

What to do with this vintage analyzer? Maybe adding a monitor-out for the connection to a external ADC or soundcard? Any other ideas?

Happy new year to you all ;) Today I did some just-for-fun amplifier-testing with my Kenwood KAF-1010 Hifi Amplifier which I rescued from being dumped.

The multitone testing procedure proved to be very useful for fast frequency response measurements. Very efficient. Overall, the analyzer seems to be reasonably accurate.

With the distortion an noise measurements I am not really sure how to "read" the figures, since intermodulation-effects have to be considered. I'll have to give the maths a second look too.

Further I had some troubles with analyzer input overload, altough math tells me that levels should be far away from the max capability of the input. I guess this was the result of the high crest-factor of the multitone signal in combination with the inductive behaviour of my 8Ohms load resistor. With a single-tone signal I was able to achieve much higher voltage levels without triggering the input-overload-detection.

I'd love to check out the stepped-sine testing. Then the "high precision mode" is available. I wish my coding/scripting skills would be fluent enough to solve this in a couple of hrs but I have the feeling its going to take much longer.

BTW I had a look at the Generator output with the QA401 and received a THD figure of -94dB at -10dBV output/input level. Not too bad for a 16bit DAC.

Ok, here we are.. a first rough stepped sine sweep, which i scripted today. This is the behaviour of the Kenwood Amplifier with 8Ohms load. Phase Info is probably crap and maybe inversed -> its more a proof of concept than a real measurement.

Got some troubles with the THD+N aquisition mode, it wont initialize. I'm pretty sure the command-syntax and the environment is correct. I'll contact NTI anyways, because i think my firmware is out-dated. Maybe I get some help there.

Besides, I did some single-bin (aka a single-tone mutlitone-signal ;) ) testing. In internal loopback, I receive a calculated THD+N figure of -85.79dB/0.0051% (13.97dBV@299Hz@600Ohms). This is quite close to the -86dB specified by NTI.

Attachments

• 20170102_myfirststepsine.png
    20170102_myfirststepsine.png
    71.9 KB · Views: 273
Very last minute but I thought some people might be interested in knowing that a bunch of these (plus a couple of RT-2Ms) are being auctioned off here PPAuctions tomorrow/today!! from 11 am

Look out for the +38.6% (15.5% buyers premium plus 20% UK VAT) and very high delivery charges though!!

P.S. Plus a bin load of other mostly ancient tech... from 'boat anchors' to maybe some highly desirables?