Correct soldering temperature.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It depends on what you are trying to solder. Surface mount components sit on pads that are easy to burn off the PCB, so for things like that keep the temp down to 600-650F or so and work fast.

If you're soldering to a terminal strip in a tube amp and there's a lot of metal connected to the thing it will draw the heat away fast. You'll want to set a high temperature for that sort of thing.

If the solder has a lot of lead it will melt at a lower temp than if it is silver solder.

You just have to play around a bit. You're more likely to do damage using too low a temperature than if you use too high a temperature, so err on the high side.

I_F

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Nordic,
I generally run around 300 °C and change the tip type for different work. Heavier connections are better done at higher temperatures. You will get a feel for the work you do and your personal style of soldering. For instance, when doing surface mount work, I tend to use a wide screwdriver tip at 300 °C. Same tip and slightly higher temperature for heavy work. Stuck with the normal screwdriver type tip, I have to run hotter for large jobs.

The trick with surface mount is to get in and out quickly. The wider tip allows me to do this more efficiently, but you may find that you can't use the bigger tip.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.