tools of the trade

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
what tools is everyone using? my living situation is going to change for the much better. (from large apartment complex to a house where i will have basement and garage for hobbying), and i plan on buying some tools for speaker building and other stuff of course.

on a budget, but still wanting decent stuff (willing to pay extra for better quality of course), what are some good buys, or some pieces that go a long way for projects? table saws, drill presses, etc... any better places to shop? im completely ignorant with tools becuase ive never had the place to be able to have them.

thanks peter.

ive seen this "rotozip" thing advertised around a lot, and it looks very versatile. could be used as a dremel tool, but becuase of the side cutting bit, looks like it would work perfectly for cutting holes in baffles, as well as port holes. is this a good tool? i picked one up at the hardware store (not bought it, just messed with it), and it felt good, and looks like its got some power behind it.

for a newbie, it looks like a versatile tool that could go a long way.

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
cowanrg said:
ive seen this "rotozip" thing advertised around a lot, and it looks very versatile. could be used as a dremel tool, but becuase of the side cutting bit, looks like it would work perfectly for cutting holes in baffles, as well as port holes. is this a good tool? i picked one up at the hardware store (not bought it, just messed with it), and it felt good, and looks like its got some power behind it.

I would save your money for a router. I find this the most important tool that I own. The bits that I use for it are: laminate trim bit (for trimming edges on cabinets, making up for not exact cuts), roundover bit (for making nice edges on cabinets) and my straight cut bit, which I use with my circle jig for cutting perfect port hole.

--
Brian

i guess one other question while its on my mind, are cheaper drill pressed worth it? (in the $100 range, or a little under that). i think it would be GREAT for chassis and for cabinets. and after reading a lot, it seems like a great tool. ive seen some decent looking ones for around $100, is this a wise investment, or hold off for a better one?

for instance, something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3309613271&category=12579

This is actually what I'm using for years. I was always thinking about upgrading to a bigger one, but somehow this one is good enough for all my needs and not too big, so other machines can fit my bench as well.;)

I also recommend buying a band saw, for metal cutting, (my first one was under $100) and a belt sander. Both are necessity for metal work, yet they can be bought pretty cheap, especially when used.

I'm using a special disc on my grinder, made of some sort of fibers, which is perfect for deburring. All machines are connected to central vacum.

Attachments

• shop.jpg
    shop.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 206
yeah, i think the band saw and belt sander will be saved for later... right now i need stuff for speaker building, not metal work. i have some good connections and can get metal work done cheap and done well. (have some hookups at CU, the local university, and they have an extensive metal shop).

thanks again peter. ill probably getting a drill press, and a drill, and a saw (table or mitre) of some sort.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.