Hickok 533A help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just wondering if anyone could help me out with my Hickok 533a tester. When I power it up, the fuse light comes on sort of bright, then gets dimmer. As I turn the Line adjust up to increase voltages, the fuse light also gets brighter, once I have the Line adjust properly set, the fuse light is on quite dim. If I was to turn up the Line adjust, it would get brighter. Anyone have any idea where I should start looking? I have new rectifier tubes on the way, but I am wondering if anyone is familiar with what this could be. I'm really hoping I don't have a partial short in the PT. :( Any help is appreciated,

Chris

Update: Isolated the issue to the 83 tube, or at least its circuit. When I pulled this tube, the fuse light no longer comes on. Is this what happens when you have an older 83 tube? Or is this a circuit problem that is after the 83 tube? Anyone work on these things?

Well when you remove the HT rect, there'll no longer be any load on the secondary...

maybe someone has just replaced the bulb with a lower current bulb?

It's normal to light up when you plug in a tube to the tester.. especially ones with heavy heaters (on my 800 at least)..

I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts popping...

Colt45 said:
Well when you remove the HT rect, there'll no longer be any load on the secondary...

maybe someone has just replaced the bulb with a lower current bulb?

It's normal to light up when you plug in a tube to the tester.. especially ones with heavy heaters (on my 800 at least)..

I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts popping...

I am looking at the 533a schematic, and it only says "Fuse lamp", it does not give the specifications for this lamp. The lamp says "GE 97" and "G3" on it. No other markings. Do you know what the proper rating is for the fuse lights? When I tried the calibration tube (metal 6L6), the lamp was getting rather bright when I turned up the bias. 12ax7s don't light it up that much. If it's not something to worry about, I wont! I did order a solid state replacement for the 83 tube though....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.