SPL sound meter smaller than Radio Shack

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone know of a really small sound pressure level meter? Something that could be easily carried in one's pocket for discrete checking of sound levels at concerts and loud events.

Ideally, I don't need to know the exact SPL down to 1db. I'd just like to know ball park whether the sound level is in the 90's, 100's, etc.

I also really don't care about sound levels that are below 85db or so because I'm only interested in levels that could be potentially damaging to hearing.

I have different sizes of earplugs depending on whether I need 10db or 25db of protection. I'd like to also know whether a concert is beyond 120db's as I believe quite a few hard rock bands go beyond this level.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Daveis said:
Does anyone know of a really small sound pressure level meter? Something that could be easily carried in one's pocket for discrete checking of sound levels at concerts and loud events.

How about the two SPL meters on each side of your head? ;) If your ears are ever uncomfortable because of the SPLs then you should limit your exposure accordingly.

Re: Re: SPL sound meter smaller than Radio Shack

BWRX said:

How about the two SPL meters on each side of your head? ;) If your ears are ever uncomfortable because of the SPLs then you should limit your exposure accordingly.

Well, if you enjoy rock music and live performances you have no choice but to sit through silly loud music. My Heros brand earplugs give me 20-30db of protection. I'd like to know when I am exceeding the safe limit (say 90db) plus the protection afforded by the plugs. In other words, if the concert is going beyond 110db than even with earplugs I am hurting my hearing.

I don't mind using earplugs as I'm now almost 40 years old and don't care what others think.

My miniature builtin protectors located inside my eardrum are old and damaged and what might seem like 90db's may actually be 96 db's.

Seriously, I don't think I've been to ANY rock concert where the levels weren't at least 105db, including McCartney, John Mayer, etc.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.