Solder vs crimp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not sure if the Ford case has a similar root cause, but it sounds very similar to electromigration in microelectronics. One of the benefits of switching from Al to Cu interconnects in integrated circuits is that with small features, current density can be quite high, and so the electron drift velocity is also very high. These fast electrons impart momentum on the metal ion, and cause voids in parts of the wire, and hillocks (accumulations) in others.

Well Mondo claims that "electromigration" doesn't exist, but thats exactly the way it was explained to me.

I've always been a "solder" person for connecting cables to connectors, but I'm just in the process of putting some ring terminals on 4AG cable for the p/s caps. Soldering this size doesn't seem to really be an option. So will probably crimp, but I wanted to hear other views on pros/cons of crimping.
thats around 5mm2 ?
Soldering this isn't too difficult. Crimping would need the proper tool. Just don't use these cheapos.
http://media.conrad.de/s/4000_4999/4800/4820/4821/482184_LB_00_FB.EPS.gif
Would be a disaster recipe. :D
Regards

Speakons, banana, and those horrible press things = mechanical connection they are fine
interconnects = mechanical
switches used in highly acclaimed stepped attenuators = mechanical
various pins and IDC connectors between boards = mechanical
the failure rate is very low as long as you dont use some silly thing like aluminum wire.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
A proper crimp using the proper equipment results in the cable and the lug being welded together due to the pressure. That would require using the crimping tool from the lug mfr. The cost of the tool is usually quite expensive.

+1

People usually don't realize how good a connection crimping can get you. Indeed, good crimping get the two materials to weld together, so there's not question of oxidation there. There's a reason why it's widely used in industrial applications. High current, tough environment, long lasting.

That being said, the forces needed for good crimping are huge, so it's hard to get it done right without proper tools.

I mean honestly - Gold plating on a tool!! I can't think of a worse metal to plate a tool with. Gold is extremely soft with almost no wear resistance at all. It's good for connections that don't get "worked" a lot because it doesn't corode, but not for any surface which sees large forces - like a tool! Stainless steel is a good material for a tool, but its going to be expensive as well. And NOT stainless stell plating, but solid stainless steel. But Titanium coatings and some other exotics like Cobolt are going to be even better, but even more expensive - but Gold!!!!?

Okay do they solder or crimp on circuit breakers? Had no heat last night and now it's like if I even breath on this circuit breaker switch the whole thing goes down and back up intermittently. I just tapped the switch without even turning it off and on and I temporally have the heat back but I expect the contact to mess up anytime. lol basically I am about to earn a Darwin award breaking into this ACs circuit breaker.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.