Tek vs Tek

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
jackinnj said:
the 2465, of which I have one so my viewpoint is unashamedly biased, is purportedly the best analog scope they made.as well.

Agree with that. The amplifiers are without any ringing and fall off gradually at the limit of the bandwidth.

But be careful if you buy one, these are full of hybrid circuits. If one is broken these scopes are unrepeatable. Then they are only good for the trashcan.

But in good working order these are the best analog Tek's ever made IMO.

;)

Sounds like all the old 2465 scopes are still in use....

Back in the early 90's, as a hardware engineer in medical product
development, I convinced the the powers of accounting that we needed 1 of these... then we purchased another as people were fighting over it.
...then the place folded :(

...then 3 years later, in another company... there she was, still had the old asset tag... :)

then, that company shut down product development, to become a marketing and service operation, booting me (and the 2465b) :(

at the equipment auction I managed to pick it up for a song :D
no one wants a scope without digital storage these days :xeye:

ttfn
Matthew

Hartono said:
I'm planning to buy 2465 as well, the main worry is the service......
I can get them here second hand with 1 year warranty, whereas other newer one have 5 year warranty :xeye:

That is a good thing. They probably have a lot of broken ones in use as a spare part supply :D

Believe me, Tek itself has no spare parts for them since long.

Cheers ;)

In my opinion?
2465B, the best general purposes analog Tek scope ever made.
Try to find one of these with the horizontal amplifier (155-0241-xx) made by Tek himself, the MTBF is much longer than those laterly made by Maxim.
You can also heatsink it, to keep temperature lower. Be careful to avoid short circuits, since the IC tab is not at ground potential...
If your "B" series has SMD capacitor in the control (A5) PCB, it should be better to change them, since they tend to leak an attack the board.
In my experience, all of those who came under my hands have been completely repaired and work at their best.
The custom IC cost is not so cheap, anyway...
My 2 cents..
Marcello

Hi Marcello,

(155-0241-xx) <---- is this the serial number ?

i might get a 2465A (or maybe no A ?? i forgot) it cost around 600 USD , the 2465B should be more expensive, but I don't know how big is the price difference. Is it worth it to go with 2465B ?

Ungrounded heatsink in high speed circuit, wouldn't it cause resonance ?

Hartono

Ungrounded heatsink in high speed circuit, wouldn't it cause resonance ?

Not in my experience, the IC (part list 155-0241-XX) has a classical "TO220" tab but is not enought to tame temperature down.
I like "B" version, it is faster and has some nice things like automatic measures and autoset.
But among the 2400 series I have, there is even a "little" 2445 mascot: it is a nice scope too! In this case, with the "flat" series, the fan motor - the same for 465, for example - could be a little problem...
Another IC that sometimes fails, is the Channel switch (U400, or 155-0236-xx) but here I don't know hot to longer its life...
Cheers
Marcello

Attachments

• dissipatore.jpg
    dissipatore.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 166
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.