Soldering Saftey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My girlfriend has been taking a health and saftey course this semester and she is studying a case on lead poisoning in workers that frequently solder. A new protocol was put in place to use masks and have the air filtered. Anyway I don't think I will take a chance, whats $30-50 for a mask. I was just curious if people took more caution.

Soldering Safely

Hi All,
I know I get a cough after done much soldering. I try not to inhale the smoke but with my nose right above it this is difficult to avoid. Conrad has a soldervapor vent :
http://www.nl.conradcom.de/scripts/...PCAT_AREA_S_BROWSE&shop=A_B2C_NL&p_init_ipc=X
Haha, the longest URL I have ever seen! That won't work. The Conradpartnumber is 817546. Price is Euro 69. I am considering buying it with my next order. It sucks a 165m^3 per hour! The active carbon filter adsorbs the vapors.
You will find Conrad here:
www.conrad.com
;)

Attachments

• 85255a3c3ab8d60ee10000000a010251.jpg
    85255a3c3ab8d60ee10000000a010251.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 331
Well, I have been soldering for 25 years without problems. I have learnt to exhale ever so slowly while leaning in on the stuf I am working on. That blows the fews out of my way and seems to work just fine.

The other way is to grab that spare fan from one of your scrapped computers or whatever and connect and let it blow away the fumes. Costs nothing and works great...

Re: Soldering Safely

Elso Kwak said:
Hi All,
I know I get a cough after done much soldering. I try not to inhale the smoke but with my nose right above it this is difficult to avoid. Conrad has a soldervapor vent :
http://www.nl.conradcom.de/scripts/...PCAT_AREA_S_BROWSE&shop=A_B2C_NL&p_init_ipc=X
Haha, the longest URL I have ever seen! That won't work. The Conradpartnumber is 817546. Price is Euro 69. I am considering buying it with my next order. It sucks a 165m^3 per hour! The active carbon filter adsorbs the vapors.
www.conrad.com
;)

Problem: I can't afford anything, ever...

Solution: Die from soldering

Solution#2: pay someone to solder for me

Solution#3: you buy me one.. :D

Re: Re: Soldering Safely

SkinnyBoy said:

Problem: I can't afford anything, ever...

Solution: Die from soldering

Solution#2: pay someone to solder for me

Solution#3: you buy me one.. :D
Hi Skinniboy,
May I suggest solution # 4?:
As you live in Australia you can do it outside.!:D :D Too cold for that here in Holland now. During summer this works great as the sunlight also gives excellent visibility of your work.:D

Don't solder and smoke

I once picked up my cigar, thinking it was my soldering pencil, and tried to put it on the circuit board - well it was 3:00 a.m.!

Then again, there is the oft repeated story of the EE who couldn't figure why his DVM wasn't giving any readings at 3:00 a.m. - he had the probes on the schematic!

That proves 3am is a bad time for electronics work.

The fumes are the worst, but if you are soldering, you should not eat or drink, thats the way you get the lead inside. Drink milk, this is usual for workers that come into contact with a lot of lead. Don't know if it helps, but it won't hurt either.

On the other hand, you would need a mask that has not a particle filter, but also a neutralising action on the fumes. So it won't be a simple affair.

Please learn from what happened to me!!!!

Here's what happened to me - please take note!!!!

I've been repairing stuff for ~25 years...

When I was young, my friends always used to joke about my work area having a smoke layer in the air from the flux... They used to think it was funny because the smoke was so thick that it looked like I was getting stoned in there...

Anyway, fast forward ~ 20 years and I was dealing with some heath issues that led to me having some detailed blood work done. The results came back and I had highly ELEVATED ARSENIC LEVELS!!!

At first I couldn't figure out where in world this had come from. Then after much research we tied it to breathing the flux smoke for so many years... As it turned out, the flux was loaded with arsenic! Had to take a bunch of stuff that literally chelated (pulled) it out of my system to get the blood levels down...

So, the lesson learned for me is always to have decent ventilation when working... Did I die from it? No. But who knows the effects that the exposure will have down the road...

Anyway, please learn from my mistakes!!!

Best to each of you,

Re: Soldering Safely

Elso Kwak said:
Hi All,
www.conrad.com
;)

I went the cheap way and I'm using regular fan. I just added PS and have very convenient fumes extractor.
Just place it on a bench, beside your work area and your environment is much cleaner. I also use it when putting boards together and anytime I do much soldering. Highly recommended.

Attachments

• fan.jpg
    fan.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 261
Everything I've seen so far (except moving outside to solder) recirculates the air into the same room.

A slightly more expensive option is to pick up a bathroom exhaust fan and mount it on a 5-sided plywood box (made with scrap) with the box opening facing your work area. Connect the exhaust with some flexible dryer-vent tubing out through a window. Home Depot has a model that sells for less than $13 in my neighborhood. Total DIY exhaust hood project cost: less than $25.

Sorry, no pictures.

Jeremy

Disclaimer: I make no guarantees on the effectiveness or legality of this or any other approach to ventilation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.