Soldering Saftey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Arsenic in the Flux???

Apogee said:
The solder is not the issue...

The arsenic is in the flux...

Research it... the stuff is nasty but sure works well!!!

No rat poison here (although she does have designs on my shop space so I wonder????) :eek:
Hi Apogee,
Do you have proof, by chemical analysis, that the arsenic is in the flux? Is it put in by purpose or is it a contamination?
I find your experience/exposure VERY disturbing!:att'n:
Will try a Google search for the wordcombination Arsenic/flux.:bawling: :confused: :bigeyes: :xeye: :eek: :att'n:

Arsenic in Solder Formulations

Hi,
I found this one :
http://www.warton-metals.co.uk/analysis.htm
and
http://www.saletek.com/solder_analysis.htm
and
http://www.qualitek.com/products/barsolder&wire.htm
Leadfree solder to minimise leadexposure:
http://www.northwestern.edu/research-safety/news/articles/2000articles/1603leadfree.htm
and
http://www.redringsolder.com/rx_series.html
This is a alarming report of solderpaste causing Arsenic poisioning:
http://neuro-www.mgh.harvard.edu/forum_2/WorkersCompF/1.7.004.08PMIndustrialArs.html
Composition of Ersin solder:
http://www.aircraftmaterialsuk.com/data/electronic/erzin.html

Concluding the solder itself contains some 0.04 % Arsenic among other impurities. Trace elements in the flux are not characterized. The lead seems also to be a healthhazard. That's why the leadfree solder comes in.
Steve, you are probably right the arsenic might come from the flux.
Thanks again for the warning and I will exercise utmost care in soldering.:rolleyes: :xeye: :angel:

RobPhill33 said:
I have always known that inhaling the solder vapour was bad for you, but lately I have heard that it can lead to many different problems that I didn't know about. Currently I don't use any respiratory protect and I was wondering if any else does?

I'm aware of that we have different regulations in working environment. I Sweden we would NEVER accept conditions like in India, Thailand, Tawian. Those who sits all day long soldering have ventilaton and fume evacuation. I read recently on my tin roll. Lead isn't safe..... wash your hands etc. etc.

Hobby soldering is not very hazardous I think.

Lead free solder

I think it would be easier to just get lead free solder...
You can try it if you want. But you won't like it.
Unless you can get the conditions exactly right (such as controlled production conditions), the joints you make will be inferior.

I used to do things like hold solder in my mouth, strip insulation with my teeth etc.
Later in life, you wonder if your "condition" has anything to do with the stupidity of your youth.:xeye:

Cheers,

Homebrew Fume Extractor

kropf said:
Everything I've seen so far (except moving outside to solder) recirculates the air into the same room.

A slightly more expensive option is to pick up a bathroom exhaust fan and mount it on a 5-sided plywood box (made with scrap) with the box opening facing your work area. Connect the exhaust with some flexible dryer-vent tubing out through a window. Home Depot has a model that sells for less than $13 in my neighborhood. Total DIY exhaust hood project cost: less than $25.

Sorry, no pictures.

Jeremy

Disclaimer: I make no guarantees on the effectiveness or legality of this or any other approach to ventilation.

I did exactly this a few years ago - got 3 cheap surplus fans, some dryer vent hose and fittings, and a little scrap lumber. I run it off a surplus 12V power supply. The wood piece on top in the photo fits nicely into a nearby window which gets shut on top of it. The exhaust grate keeps birds from nesting in it, etc. (recommended). The unit is a bit noisy, but sucks everything out of the area.

If you build one like this, I wouldn't use it around solvents and other inflamables - especially if you don't use brushless fans. For soldering, it works great, though.

Attachments

• extractor.jpg
    extractor.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 161
Re: Lead free solder

dhaen said:

Unless you can get the conditions exactly right (such as controlled production conditions), the joints you make will be inferior.

What are these problems? As you might remember we had a
number of threads discussing solders a while back. It is true that
lead-free solders for non-industrial usage have a higher melting
point than lead-based solders, but otherwise I cannot remember
any of us finding any information on problems directly related to
lead vs. lead-free.

What are these problems?
In my (and my colleagues) experience, it does not flow as well as convential 60/40 types.
Difficult to solder items, such as components that have been in stock for a while, need to be cleaned, where normally it would be unnecessary.
Some components, such as switches, where the terminal is made of the same material as the switch interior, refuse to tin altogether.
Also, the joints often look dull, leading you to think they are dry(cold).

Sorry I didn't get involved too much in the original thread, but if I remember rightly, it digressed into what solder "sounds" best.:xeye: All my types make a similar "clunk" when they hit the floor.:)

Cheers,

dhaen said:

In my (and my colleagues) experience, it does not flow as well as convential 60/40 types.
Difficult to solder items, such as components that have been in stock for a while, need to be cleaned, where normally it would be unnecessary.
Some components, such as switches, where the terminal is made of the same material as the switch interior, refuse to tin altogether.
Also, the joints often look dull, leading you to think they are dry(cold).

Sorry I didn't get involved too much in the original thread, but if I remember rightly, it digressed into what solder "sounds" best.:xeye: All my types make a similar "clunk" when they hit the floor.:)

Cheers,

OK, wetting might be an issue. I bought lead-free solder recently
but haven't had much time to really try it yet. As for joints being
grey, often indicating cold joints, has nothing to do with the
lead, but whether the alloy is eutectic or not. An alloy is eutectic
if it has a sharp phase transition from liquid to solid. Ordinary
60/40 solder is not eutectic, while 63/37 is, so 60/40 is not a
good choice if you want to avoid cold joints, 63/37 being a
better choice in this respect. There are also lead-free alloys
which are eutectic, so this has nothing to do with the lead itself.
Just as in the previous threads, I still remain puzzled, though, as
to why there is so much 60/40 solder around when 63/37 seems
to be a better choice according to all information I have managed
to find. Could it be that 60/40 has better wetting properties,
perhaps?

You also mentioned a need for cleaning components before
soldering. I wonder it that has anything to do with the lead?
I would rather think it depends on what type of flux is used,
many lead-free solders having "more ecological" fluxes, which
may not be as good.

Christer,

cleaning components before soldering. I wonder it that has anything to do with the lead?
I would rather think it depends on what type of flux is used
Yes, I'm sure you're right. But it may well be that the fluxes used in lead free are different because of the lack of lead.
I really don't know the reasons, these were just my experiences.

Cheers,

dhaen said:

I used to do things like hold solder in my mouth, strip insulation with my teeth etc.
Later in life, you wonder if your "condition" has anything to do with the stupidity of your youth.:xeye:

Cheers,
Hi dhaen,
Leadfree solders whether with silver or not have a higher melting point than ordinary Pb/Sn 60/40 solders.
The latter have a mp of 183*C. Multicore 99C alloy (99.7% Sn/0.3% Cu) has a mp of 227*C.
A higher tip temparature is required 350-370*C for this one.
Multicore Ecosol has a melting point of 217*C. This is eutectic : 95.5% Sn/3.8% Ag/0.7% Cu.:cool:
See also this post on AA:
http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?forum=tweaks&n=2697&highlight=dave+thorsten+curl&r=&session=;)

dhaen said:
Elso,

Do you use it?:D

Cheers,
Hi John,
Not yet. Currently I am using 60/40 Leaded. It has a bad smell when soldering, it smokes alot. I get a cough after much soldering work and I absolutely don't like that.
I realize that I need a new soldering iron with a hotter tip (or better still adjustable).
The silver containing solder is also a lot more expensive.
There excists also all kinds of flux. Some more active, some less. This might also explain the bad results you got.
Eric (Mrfeedback) is enthousiastic about the sound of silversolder. I sure will give it a try.
;)

Elso,

Sorry, asking whether you use it was a bit of a joke on my part.:D

At a company where I worked, a few years ago, the management insisted that we use it, but of course they didn't have to.

It seems to me, that it's a good idea, as long as it's not you who has to use it.:)

And yes, I love silver loaded solder! It's wetting ability.;)

Cheers,

Yeah, Silver solder is very nice to work with... I can't really say that I've noticed any particular sonic advantage though... it may be that others experience an improvement simply because they are getting better solder joints with the silver solder... ??

Anyway, back to the topic here: it was my understanding that one only had to remove the particulate matter from solder smoke, since the lead is carried as a solid deposited on the smoke particles created by the burning flux. Any comments on the toxicity of the other compounds in solder fumes - specifically, the stuff that woulnd't be removed with just a particulate filter? With respect to arsenic, well I definitely wouldn't want to mess with that stuff! :bigeyes: This is the first time I've heard about the possibility of arsenic poisoning from solder and soldering products. I think I'll be getting myself a fume extractor real soon...

Does anybody have health problems like I? I have a caught often for some weeks, then is OK for some time and then again. I have also rised blood presssure, problems with sleeping, problems with my eyes, white skin itd also when I m not soldering.

I started to solder when I was obout 9 years old and almost every day after school till other family members came home. 3 years ago I got symptoms which I mentioned. I'm 18 now. Are this problem conected with soldering or does anyone have problems like me?

Health Problems

Primoz said:
Does anybody have health problems like I? I have a caught often for some weeks, then is OK for some time and then again. I have also rised blood presssure, problems with sleeping, problems with my eyes, white skin itd also when I m not soldering.

I started to solder when I was obout 9 years old and almost every day after school till other family members came home. 3 years ago I got symptoms which I mentioned. I'm 18 now. Are this problem conected with soldering or does anyone have problems like me?

Netlist said:

Hmmm...better see a doctor if you ask me.
Maybe do a small blood test. At 18 you should feel like moving the world :)

/Hugo

Hi Primoz,
Better see a doctor ASAP, I agree with Netlist. If possible have the lead and arsenic level of your blood checked. The cough sounds familiar to me. That why I installed the solderfume soaker.
Maybe your health problems are totally not related to the soldering but the symptoms do sound alarming enough to have a medical checkup. Did your physician check the bloodpressure? Hypertension at 18 is very abnormal.
Take care!
:att'n:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.