• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

class a elektor headphone amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I remember this amp. 10 W with these transistors is a bit weak but if the supply voltage was +- 15 volts it's possible to get a couple of watts from the amp. Beware of the thin traces from the output.

Why do you ask?

I have the article somewhere in my collection. If you could tell me when it was published it would help me.

I soldered those trannies on today, the originals were fried/stolen a few years ago, i still have the heatsink that came with the amp when i got it from a forum member of a swedish hifi forum.

It originally used BD139/140, the ones there now is similar ones but are drivers from a broken poweramp.

It was the previous owner that said the thing could deliver around 10 watts in 8 ohms while it operated in class A driving 32ohm headphones.

I believe its either the 1983 mag 4 headphone amp, the mag 7 1984 mini crescendo, the mag 1 1986 AXL amp, the mag 9 1986 or the mag 10 1986 mini stereoamp.

Board number EPS83022-7 if it helps.

It does nearly 10 watts in class AB.
With 4 BD139/140 per channel i managed to get 2 watts in class A and keep the devices alive.
Sound on a K1000 isn't bad

The board number stands for 1983
I can post a picture of the 2 device version i built, same as yours.
I used it on efficient loudspeakers, amazing what such a little amplifier can do.

With a + / - 15 V DC supply, the amp should infact be able to put out 10 Watts into 8 Ohms, though into 33 Ohms it would be 2.5 Watts and 'just' 0.25 Wats into 330 Ohms.

I recall this circuit though never built it. I am sure the circuit would have been repeated in their Summer Ckts, and books...

Tekko said:

What is the question ?

The 2-device version was published in 1983, the 25volt rails version with 4 output devices in the 1992 Elektor Personal Hifi book.

Using MAT02 for the differential instead of the BC550C's is a big improvement, and separate LM317/337 regulation.
Here's an old board>

Attachments

• elektor_headamp.jpg
    elektor_headamp.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 1,564
UrSv, i guess it pleases you to see that the amp is still in one piece and working.

What does the two pots next to each other do ? The standing ones is volume and the two in the middle of the transistor forest is bias, but the remaining two i dunno, offset ?

A blast from the past for me....

Just browsing and I thought I recognised your board layout - I built one of these (must have been around '83) together with a discrete preamplifier from ETI (remember Electronics Today International? :RIP: ).

Just dug it out of the garage - as you can see - poor quality components used throughout!

I remember etching the board in my parent's back garden and stripping the paint off the door with Ferric Chloride (an accident).

I have long since lost the articles, and the peak-level indicator board appears to be missing, but I wonder if it still works...

NB. The piggy-back board is just a delay relay for the preamp (RH side of board) and I think the paint spots on the transistors was for gain matching.

Attachments

• oldpre.jpg
    oldpre.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,470

Yeah, this enclosure was superb for audio projects - I remember getting all the bits from Maplin Electronics (or Maplin Electronic Supplies as they were then).

Tricky getting decent metal enclosures these days in the UK - everything seems to be made out of ABS plastic, or to fit the 19" rack system - really expensive too!

Plz anyone - any recommendations?

I'm stuffing boards for a Zen v4 (Penultimate) at the moment, so I'll probably use Al sheet and hardwood and build a case around the heatsinks.

Next project will be something along the lines of the SL10 or NS10 - this enclosure would have been ideal for these :( .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.