• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

MAT02, 03 Elektor preamp schematic

bogdan_borko said:
1."Expensive transistors?" - NOt a high end argument!

2.It didn`t ment to copare it with op amps...

3."This amplifier has got 40mA idle -" NOt a high end argument!

4."Which means it will put out close to 80mA in True Class A" - all discrete preams work in TRUE class A.

1. Cheap transistors - even less an argument for good audio

2. What's wrong with opamps - these are what we usually design up against, doing descretes

3. Some 40 mA in a preamp at least indicates a good level of Class A, which cant be too bad?

4. This is almost true. All transistor preamps work in Class A.
But the difference is at how much Class A current.
10 mA is not unusual. 80 mA is more than average. Much more actually!

Regars
lineup

This is just line preamplifier, cannot work for phono cartridges

Routhun

Hi everyone, a friend gave me an Elector EPS 86111-2 MM MC preamp board with 86111-1/3 input selector ps supply boards.
I see triple MAT02 input and OP27 servo next to these but no single BC transistors anywhere The line that is included in this pcb is using 4ea OP27. It also has an impressive triple copper stripe power distribution on top of the board.
Any info about this preamp? Thanks, adam2a3

Dear Samuel!

I found a schematic in the Elektor's summer issue 1994. I think this is the drawing you mentioned.

Greetings from Vienna.

Wopo

:smash:

Hi Wopo, a friend gave me an Elector EPS 86111-2 MM MC preamp board with 86111-1/3 input selector ps supply boards.
I see triple MAT02 input and OP27 servo next to these but no single BC transistors anywhere The line that is included in this pcb is using 4ea OP27. It also has an impressive triple copper stripe power distribution on top of the board.
Any info about this preamp? Is this the one you have built? Thanks, adam2a3

Hi Wopo, a friend gave me an Elector EPS 86111-2 MM MC preamp board with 86111-1/3 input selector ps supply boards.
Any info about this preamp? Is this the one you have built? Thanks, adam2a3

adam2a3 I have the full article in pdf format.But dont have pcb layout,do you send me a scan copy of PCB layout ?

This post should be example of ultimate ignorance.Pardon me.

I have built this preamp. it works.I built it on perforated board.
but how much is it different from Ne5532,I couldn't comprehend.
I know and i have learnt that there are lot of anomalies with Ne5532 .:).

I couldn't find mat transistor anywhere (neither op77) so I built using bc560c.

I tested ,tried.against ne5532 I find nothing much to boast. (pardon me for my ignorance).

It is a pain to build such a complex discrete circuit. so I built only one channel ,tested and dropped in my Diy bin,continued using ne5532.

I built hexfet amp back in 2006..and series of explosions and smokes untill 2007,(I have box full of blown up IRF mosfet just for a proof) I believe this hexfet amp was culprit behind burning of my Vifa tweetor. Did not dare to go for igbt.

Then I shifted to TDA7294. those cute little chips are serving me even today. but for power.

recently I built Elektors 100 watt amp with slight modifications i.e instead of bdx transistors I am using IRFP mosfets :p.
So far so good and working excellent. But I am not so happy about this new amp of mine against TDA7294 yet.that chip amp have a different flavour.

BTW my TDA has no PCB all components hangs in air being held by thick copper wire and their respective components leads.

Now I am in search of good Amp..!!

(I hate pcb design, though i used to draw by hand that was in 2002-2003 in my college days when I built Stk 4211 Amp for somebody to earn some pocket money.. which is still working. But if there is any other easy method do enlighten me I would be much grateful)

I wonder how much technically correct is DIY matching, I bought 50nos of them and in my meco mutlimeter I did try matching them.I am afraid how much temeperature difference would be affecting it.or maybe What I did could be wrong.from my observation transistor which apparently matched in morning did show some deviations by evening.anyway I used the closest matched ones.

I am A diy'er and obviously you may guess complex test equipment are least to be desired but I do have a simple and natural test setup called "Ear" and I am counting on that most of the time.

I have speakers made by myself I mean the enclosure and crossovers.

drivers are from Vifa,peerles(India) and 2 jbl subwoofer. But I wont say I test my setups with those loud speakers rather I have my favorite Technics Headphone coupled to an OPAMP amplifier..these sound nice.

If u hear the song "Tu cheez badi hai mast mast" from the hindi movie and u feel it sounds good and is correctly recorded, believe me, u need to buy good speakers. DIY will not do unless it is a a project from DIYAUDIO(there was one) or an original caninet design meant for that particular driver.

If u have money crunch, then go for an active crossover, 2way or 3 way like the one on ESP site and construct SYMASYM amp well discussed on DIYAUDIO.

Initially, before the days of the net in India, I constructed so many amps not knowing anything. But when I learned at DIYAUDIO, first thing I decided was to buy good speakers.

In the quest for good speakers, I started reading for full rangers(drivers), but found that if it is cheap, it cannot be good. I was especially interested in fostex as they r cheap. Don't believe, just see how much Lowthar costs.

Then recently, I found ebay selling u the US products and delivering them at your doorstep.

Few months back, I bought Klipsch RB81-II for Rs.47306/- from Ebay global easy buy and connected to my Sony which I bought second hand for a throw away price(Rs995).

Now, I don't like any other speakers(not even Sony). They just sound crap.

Gajanan Phadte

Note:if u want to go the active crossover path, I have the 3 way Linkwitz crossover from Rod Elliott constructed on a glass epoxy PCB. It is old but working.

Edit: I have nearly completed my Leach low TIM amp and will use it with my Klipsch speakers.

Last edited:
If u hear the song "Tu cheez badi hai mast mast" from the hindi movie and u feel it sounds good and is correctly recorded, believe me, u need to buy good speakers.
Are you kidding? Is it worth listening????

In the quest for good speakers, I started reading for full rangers(drivers), but found that if it is cheap, it cannot be good. I was especially interested in fostex as they r cheap. Don't believe, just see how much Lowthar costs.
I cant buy such facts.
an expensive loudspeaker can too sound crap. it all depends upon how it is designed.

an expensive driver coupled to any kind of crossover cannot give you desired result ,what about phase shifts?
Linkwitz crossover are good,they produce least phase shifts,agreed, .but may not give you right sonic quality if there is issue with driver mismatching. especially when it comes to sound dispersion.
All the drivers have their own unique characteristics and all of them are custom built keeping applications in mind.So there exist no IDEAL driver in this world.

Matching makes lot of difference.

However, matching using cheap slow DMM and incorrect procedure is no good.

Gajanan Phadte

However as far as I understood matching helps to reduce distortion.
but how much does our ears can distinguish ?
In normal listening environment more distortion comes through cables and interconnect (and worst parts are resistors and capacitors) than these active devices like input transistors.
most of the laboratory test results and graphs are limited to walls of same lab we end users and diyers can rarely replicate the conditions of lab environment at our listening rooms.

What I like in the said discrete OP-amplifier is slew rate and psychological factor to a certain extend. I love to see the unity of all those tiny transistors and components working towards a single goal .

If U R using the drivers that u mentioned, I am sorry to say u will not be able to hear difference between a iron wire and a copper wire.

There r things ear can differentiate. u have to hear to believe it. I can hear the difference between touching speaker wire to the copper and the iron screw.

The transistor 2N3055 sounds smeared compared to the newer audio transistors.

For a taste of what can be heard and good, u have to visit Blowtorch thread to read from the gurus.

Gajanan phadte

If U R using the drivers that u mentioned, I am sorry to say u will not be able to hear difference between a iron wire and a copper wire.

I wonder...I wonder ...why you could say the below mentioned drivers which I am using are bad. they are loved by enthusiast worldwide. though bit old but it is still regarded in good list.

Vifa: P17WJ-00-08

Vifa: D27TG-05-06

PeerlessIndia drivers for surrounds

coupled to elektor Hexfet amp previously then TDA7294 and now irfp9250,250 amp

subwoofers
JBL:2226G x2 , coupled to 300 watts amp using mjl MJL4302/MJL4281transistors.

BTW why is 2n3055 considered so bad here?
This transistor should be given due respect in audio world. Something like Father of power transistors in power amps.
one can make a good amplifier with 2n3055 too without smearing or other anomalies that is what I believe.
Present day 2n3055 specs are not that bad as like germanium ones.

I agree those hybrid STK amplifiers sound pathetic compared to any discrete amp.

construct SYMASYM amp well discussed on DIYAUDIO.

Thanks to that I have already considered making it.
I will be using MJL4302/MJL4281transistors as I have couple of them laying with me hope it will fit in.

Forget anything made in India. JBLs sold in India R crap. Everything is made to lure the millions who cannot spend on audiophile quality. But as they r sold in high volume, give equally high profits.

The drivers alone don't make a good sounding speaker.

About 2N3055, try and hear it for yourself.

Gajanan Phadte

Forget anything made in India. JBLs sold in India R crap. Everything is made to lure the millions who cannot spend on audiophile quality. But as they r sold in high volume, give equally high profits.

The drivers alone don't make a good sounding speaker.

About 2N3055, try and hear it for yourself.

Gajanan Phadte

That sounds very generic statement.

If your handwriting is not good how you can blame the Pen?

2n3055 is just an active switch one should know how to make use of it to max. there are higher switching transistors.

I have been in this since 8 years. my first amp was with 2n3055 single ended.then I made quasi-complimentary with 2n3773. then tip147/142.
hexfet irf540 elektor, list goes on.

Those former ones where no hifi but stable ,far stable than hifi ones which I built but again I admit they are noisy.

Till this date I haven't come across any high end loudspeaker which can outsmart head phones.

I have been using technics headphone since last 3 years .
Now planning to upgrade to Pro770t.

Coming to most of so called high end loudspeaker in market I have seen they are mostly "hype". much cheaper studio speakers for professional purpose sounds far better and accurate than so called "musical" speakers from high-end bucket.

Now there is new "mania " going around in High end world that is valve sound,Damn it is noisy and any child can figure out distortions ,yet people are going gung-ho over it.

I wonder what is it happening? why "high-end" lable is being made reference?
is it with price tag ? or aesthetics?

Coming to India people had made it engraved in their mind that imported always sounds better.
I have seen people cherishing on Bose speakers,and lot of other things which they haven't even seen around.but they heard it from their overseas friend that they are good so it should be good.

What my point is India has no DIY market, and couple of guys like me have to struggle to get something and I believe it is this mentality of "Indian products are worthless" which completely wiped out any scope of DIY .

PS:pardon me I mean no offence to anybody I go with my Intuitions and ready to accept any kind of corrections.