• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Elektor Curve Tracer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I’m building it.

The snags:

1) It seems Elektor is sponsored by Conrad; only there you can find and order the PCB mounted transformer with the matching footprint. Of course they could have made some variable PCB layout to account for different brands, but nooooooo…… :mad:

2) Some VERY odd resistor values (931 kOhm to call one), not available at Conrad while you are there… Only available from the big ones (Mouser, Digikey, etc) if you want quality parts from the same brand (I wanted Vishay Dale for example). :grumpy:

3) Some pretty obsolete IC’s (2x DG441DJ), not available with any parts shops; had to order from US ebayer. :confused:

4) Some 1 watt resistors are having a PCB pitch of… ¼ watters, while the PCB has plenty of space to stretch the pitch for these resistors to 15mm or more. Seems the design/article was rushed to the press without fine tuning. I ended up in bending the leads in an omega shape to get these 1 watters in place. :(

So, in the end I ended up to order from 4 different parties (PCB, transformer + heatsinks, ICs, others parts) loosing over 60 Euros in shipping costs.

Total costs, including casing, terminals, IEC filter, etc: way over 250 Euro….

So, if anybody from Elektor reads this: CAN YOU FOLKS PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT WE NORMAL FOLKS LIKE TO MAKE ONE SINGLE PARTS ORDER, and, TO USE NORMAL/AVAILABLE COMPONENT VALUES AND DIMENSIONS ?? Thank you !!

Not a snag, but a reminder: the testing current and voltage are pretty limited. So if you want to obtain realistic trannie curves under load, then you better build locky_z’s curve tracer found in the solid state forum (I’m building it as well).

The elector tracer could however be a nice device for testing and matching small signal BJTs and FETs.

Here some construction pics; it’s almost ready to be fired up.

Attachments

• DSC02366.jpg
    DSC02366.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 726
  • DSC02367.jpg
    DSC02367.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 683
  • DSC02368.JPG
    DSC02368.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 655
  • DSC02372.JPG
    DSC02372.JPG
    218.3 KB · Views: 663
  • DSC02378.JPG
    DSC02378.JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 653
  • DSC02405.JPG
    DSC02405.JPG
    198.7 KB · Views: 292
  • DSC02442.JPG
    DSC02442.JPG
    201.7 KB · Views: 259
  • DSC02451.JPG
    DSC02451.JPG
    213.7 KB · Views: 290
  • DSC02817.jpg
    DSC02817.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 412
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.