Success! Elekit 8200

I just finished my first Elekit 8200 and first tube amp complete build. I'm doing a Tubelab SSE, but cannot finish it as I'm waiting for the power transformers and output transformers.

This kit is fantastic. I upgraded many capacitors and resistors (Takman). I also put in a great Alps volume pot. I'm listening to some Bill Evans right now, cooking in the system and breaking in a pair of brand new Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary loudspeakers. The amp and the speakers are going to be a Christmas gift for my father.

I am going to custom paint the chassis tonight so it's not bolted together. Beware of shock!

I can't believe how good this sounds. When I moved it into my tiny sunporch office to break it in and test it, I was floored. It was previously in my main living room. In the 12 x 7 sunporch, it sounds as good as my Primaluna Dialogue HP Premium integrated.

I think it may sound better with EL34s than KT88s but not sure. I have a nice stock of NOS 12AU7s to play with.

I'll post pics after the paint job is done and it's properly sealed up.

Viktor, you are the man. I wish that I could make something similar with more power to put in my main room. The lushness here is feeling more cozy and warm than my main system--which costs thousands upon thousands.

This was a great project and my dad will love it. THANK YOU VIKTOR!

I like the stock 6L6EH tubes.

I tried KT88 tubes and they ran quite hot, and I didn't notice much of an improvement over the 6L6EH tubes.

I did notice much more of a change with changing the 12au7 tubes.
Even the inexpensive Electro Harmonic sound much better than the stock 12au7 tubes.

BTW The internal DAC is a nice addition. It actually sounds good even though it's only 16 bit.

Last edited:
CIFTE: Try the Genalex KT77

My favourite tube from the EL34 family is the reissue (Russian) Genalex KT77. They are more expensive than the basic E-H EL34 but worth it as far as I'm concerned.

Check with Victor to make sure the power trans in the 8200 can handle the increased filament demands of a pair of KT77s versus stock 6L6s.

Steve

I know this thread is nearly 4 years dead, but I just want to give a +1 to the Elekit TU-8200R paired with the 80th Anniversary Wharfedale Dentons for the next person who wonders. I built the kit (love it - highly recommended) and then needed to find a non-fatiguing bookshelf speaker for long days of desktop listening - this thread was the only plug I could find for such a counterintuitive pairing. I took the leap based on Cifte12AU7's recommendation (along with Music Direct's generous return policy), and it's really nice. Clean, rich, deep, smooth, engaging, and really nicely detailed without any bright or harsh edges. My ears ring no more at the end of the day than they did at the beginning. I wouldn't try to use it as my main system in the living room, but sitting about 3 feet away for 8 to 12 hours a day at 60dB to 75dB I couldn't be happier.