Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Elekit News and products from Elekit

Old 20th March 2016, 12:09 AM   #1
Mancave62 is offline Mancave62  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Elekit 8200 Tube rolling

I've been rolling tubes in and out of my 8200 for a long time, so much fun. What tubes are your favorites for this great little amp and why?
Old 21st March 2016, 12:01 AM   #2
jeff5may is offline jeff5may  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may
It would be great if you could chime in on this guy's thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes...1a-anyone.html
He is planning on building his first hifi tube amp kit. The amp you own is one i recommended. He has been trolling the chinese fodder on ebay and I hate to see people make mistakes. Sharing your experience with the piece might help him in this direction.
Old 21st March 2016, 12:16 AM   #3
fredjones is offline fredjones  United States
diyAudio Member

I honestly like the stock tubes that came with my 8200 the EH 6L6GC. I have also rolled in some other power tubes such as Gold Lion KT88s that sounded pretty good too, more power. Shuguang Treasure KT88 TII sound the most detailed, so if you have no preamp they are the better ones.

The 12AU7 rolling can make a big difference too. The stock chinese tubes had to go of course. Jan Phillips 5814A I liked a lot. I tried some NOS tungsol that sounded smoother but I don't run them regularly.

I have heard that Elekit is coming out with a new amp this summer and I eagerly await its arrival. It's nice to hear from another Elekit owner, sometimes I feel like they are not that popular. I definitely love putting together the kit though.

Old 21st March 2016, 01:01 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hey fredjones, I really like the EH 6l6gc that came with the kit...I put in the TungSol 12u7 in preamp...I really prefer the 6L6 and KT77, they just seem to be so clear on the highs and so punch on the lows...
Old 23rd March 2016, 12:28 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hey fredjones, I get the same feeling that the Elekit is not that popular on this forum. If so, people are missing out a great little amp and so much fun to tube roll and experiment in different output modes. I'm running some EH 6ca7 tubes in mine tonite, they really sound great, you should give them a try. To me they have the great punch of the EL34 with the sweet clarity of the 6L6, what ever that means...LOL!
Old 23rd March 2016, 03:51 PM   #6
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Elekit 8200 Tube rolling
While I don't own one I have heard one in the not too distant past at the show in Montreal, I really liked it and recommend it when the opportunity arises.
Old 15th May 2016, 08:52 PM   #7
baileyscot is offline baileyscot  United States
diyAudio Member

I built one of these amps about 8 months ago and I love it. It's driving a pair of fostex FE103sols in the stock bass reflex enclosure from fostex but I hope to build some back loaded horns or frugelhorns for the drivers in the future.
Old 29th May 2016, 02:09 AM   #8
Dimu is offline Dimu
diyAudio Member

Rolling tubes in this amp is almost too much fun

So far I tried the following power tubes: GEC KT66, 6P3S from USSR, RCA 6L6GC, GE 6L6GC, Sylvania 6L6GC, GE 7581, Sylvaniya 6550, GE 6550, different XF versions of Mullard EL34, RTF EL34. So far GEC KT66 is my favorite, especially the Gold Monarch version which for some reason sounds better than regular GEC KT66. I am going to try couple different tubes with top anodes to see how those compare, including TT21. Basically the only notable tube I have not gotten my hands on is Tung Sol 6550. I was planning to try 350B but Elekit told me that second grid voltage spec on those is too low to be used safely in TU-8200. Could not try 6P3S-E for the same reason.

I also tried many driver tubes including Telefunkens, RCA, Sylvania, Brimar, Mullard, GE, etc. My two favorites are Brimar 12BH7 and Amperex E80CC (both require upgraded rectifier and cannot be mixed with anything other than 6L6GC power tubes). I am planning to try 6SN7 next.

Also did some 12AT7 tube rolling in my TU-8500 preamp.

My stock Chinese/Russian tubes were used only on initial power up to see if they blow up. As soon as amp/preamp were confirmed to be operational those tubes were ejected for good. I don't see any reason to use new issue tubes when there are so many good choices original tubes. If budget is an issue I would recommend combination of Brimar CV4003 and GE or Sylvania 6L6GC for TU-8200. This tube complement can be had for just over $200 which is not much relative to the cost of the amp kit.

The reason I love TU-8200 (in addition to the awesome sound) is that it is easy and affordable to roll tubes compared to amps that require matched quads of power tubes and many driver tubes. Output volume is more than enough for me with my KEF LS50, especially having preamp available for bringing weaker signals up.

I also had a lot of fun upgrading components in the 8200 and 8500 kits includings pots, capacitors, resistors and opamps.
Old 6th December 2017, 11:48 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Power tubes in Elekit 8200

I know this an old thread but I've been rolling the power tubes in my Elekit 8200 for a long time. This little amp kit is a work horse don't think I could be happier. The best for me is the 6550. Love the deep bass pop and clarity of this tube. I'm running it thru some DIY Fostex Fe206en double bass reflex speakers...mancave is rocking...
Old 7th December 2017, 05:07 PM   #10
Steve Morley is offline Steve Morley  Canada
diyAudio Member

My favourites in the TU-8340VK are the reissue Genalex KT77. I'd bet money that they'd sound good in the 8200 as well.

Elekit 8200 Tube rollingHide this!Advertise here!