Help with PS Cap upgrade for elekit TU-879R

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have an elekit tu-879 R with R core trafo from the esteemed Victor Kung. The only guy who sells this with the original trafo thats so important! The amp was then modded with Vitamin Q coupling caps - well worth the upgrade and tkd 2cp-601 volume pot. So what's next in modifications? Hmmmm...

Well I'd to upgrade the PS caps and would like to understand how to do this as there is no visual documentation I have been able to find. Does anyone have any photos of this upgrade, illustrating where and what needs removing, soldering and replacing? Any recommendations and comments on the upgrade would be welcome too!

heres what i am looking at using...100+100uf / 500VDC,* Mundorf MLytic® HV,*MLSL,*35mm x 66mm...Is this the right cap, any better suggestions?

Id also like to sing the praises of rolling rca 807's - A fantastic upgrade for anyone listening to highly layered classical or folk. Andrew Bird or John Renbourn for example...valve art KT's rock the Clash to the point where I can feel the taste of beer,sweat and hairspray in my mouth. EH 6L6GC's are very nicely inbetween, and sweet all round. Im eating liquorice pizza and loving every mouthful with the 879!!!

Thanks in advance!

Glen.

Last edited:
Having in mind the best possible sound quality, as much it depends on it, a cap should be specified with a specific capacitance and voltage rating (according to desing), a minimum life time and operating temperature (according to build and cost), and the lowest possible ESR according to cost only. Finally, its physical size can be derived from the above, with relation to manufacturing technology.

So, in your case, it is a good practice to measure how big can be the replacement caps with relation to capacitance and voltage rating, and choose the cap with the lowest ESR and the maximum life time at the maximum temperature your money can buy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.