What modification to the Elekit TU-879S?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I believe I have made my decision and will be making my first rig an Elekit TU-879S.
I've search and read every post I think about the 879S. So far, I like what I've read.

When it comes to tubes I'm lost and I use to fix tube radios in the Army. This was way back in 1987.

So far, I have picked up the Maverick TubeMagic D2 as my DAC and my speakers are Polk Audio RTi A5. My music so far is primary CDs but will be downloading and purchasing FLAC.

I want to keep the amp stock as possible and use the tubes that come with the amp and with time and maturing I will begin the transformation . I have read a lot of changes to capacitors and the volume control. Would this be a good thing to do first when building the 879S?

Do people change the power cords?

I think it would be neat to see what modifications you have done to your 879S.

Jason

You can upgrade coupling caps, Volume pot ....
You can try this upgrade

photo005.jpg

Photo from review33.com

Japanese Site about TU-879 upgrade . You can use Google Translator to undestand this link.

Last edited:
I am sorry. You have an aftermarket R-core in your TU-879S. You should buy your TU-879S with original Japanese R-core. The original Japanese R-core is pricy but its worth every penny...

TKD 2CP601 100K A can be directly replaced the stock volume pot. TKD is a better volume pot

Regarding your speaker, TU-879S can drive Proac 2.5 with a very good result. A pair of used Proac 2.5 is around $,750.00. IT will cost you more to build your speaker kit. Your speaker kit is very nice but I have no experience with this nice speaker kit.

Last edited:
Hi victor you know in europe we have 230v... but if you said that my power transfo isn't an original i send a mail to tube depot to know why they don't give an power transfo for tu879s.
i open my amp today and on sticker on rcore doesn t write tu 879s but tu87 something.
Tkd it's better pot than alps?

Here is the customer alert.
The original 230V R-core is JPY 8,800 each (US$112).
You have a made in India R-core...
Forum Alert - vkung - VK Music - Elekit & Triode Japan Forum

DIY Audio Projects Forum • Elekit TU-879S (SE 6L6GC) Tube Amplifier Kit Build Notes
Elekit told me they did not test this R-core's spec. They won't take any responsibility caused by this aftermarket R-core. (customer need to know this )

A lot of my customers are regret to buy TU-879S wirth an inferiot R-core. The original R-core is few times more than the aftermarket (inferior) R-core.
Yes, TKD is the replacement of the stock alps

Last edited:
The original 230V Japanese R-core is worth JPY 8,800 each.
I only offer TU-879S with original R-core. If you have a multi tap R-core, it means that your TU-879S have an after market R-core.
You are not the only one who has problem with this after market R-core.
Please email me your issue. I will help you to fix your problem. ‚qƒRƒAƒgƒ‰ƒ“ƒX_ƒtƒFƒjƒbƒNƒXR-CORE_TRANSFORMER. Your r-core should be made in Japan by Phoenix (not made in India).

Forum Alert - vkung - VK Music - Elekit & Triode Japan Forum

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.