Elekit TU-879S 6L6GC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, I'm pleased to say that my TU-879S has been in service for over a year now in our family room, which is the most used room of the house. I have the TU-875 preamplifier connected to it, mostly for the phono preamp, but also because the sound of TU-875+TU-879 together just sounds great to my ears - rich and lovely. I am using the new Wyred4Sound uDac and Squeezebox Touch as a digital source, Zu Audio Omen speakers and a REL B3 subwoofer. The amp and preamp have been working flawlessly since I complete the builds over a year ago.

Anyone who wants to build these great kits should not hesitate. They are fun to build, sound fantastic and perform well beyond their price points.

Thanks Victor,

I finished my build a week ago and now have a few hours play time on it. The stock tubes sounded real nice but I couldn't resist trying something a little different. I run across a few Telefunken smooth and ribbed long plate 12AX7s and settled on the smooth plate. The 6l6 blackplates are US made Groove Tubes and actually sounded pretty good so I decided to keep them in for awhile. Lovely blue glow coming off those tubes. Thinking of changing the orange LEDs on the driver tube to blue ones.

Attachments

• IMG_2790.jpg
    IMG_2790.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_2799.jpg
    IMG_2799.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 350
Great Amplifier!

Here's mine;

8483986902_2c586b9294_o.jpg

I switched the amber LED's to blue.

Driving a pair of Tang Band W8-1772 in DIY vented boxes.

8504355393_8a9bc6ae22_o.jpg

Tryed KT-88, but ran too hot. Went back to stock EH. Then tried Sovtec 12AX7LPS and that sounded good. Nice and smooth. The last roll I did was Genalex Gold Lion 12AX7 (long plate) and the new Tung Sol 7581.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I am staying with this. The 7581 is a true pentode with nice curves. The sound is smooth, detailed and punchy. The gold lion sounds a hair better than the Sovtec, but that could just be me trying to justify the extra $30 - :)

Absolutely a wonderful amplifier, I listen to it every night before I go to sleep.

No, it's stock except for the blue LED's and a 68 ohm series resistor because the blue has a higher voltage drop than the amber.

That and the tubes.

Give the TungSol 7581 a try if you haven't, I like it. Not expensive either like SED.

I don't think I will be doing any cap changes anytime soon. Don't want to open it up if it ain't broke - :)

So, after introducing myself a few minutes ago, I can start asking questions with a clear conscience...

I'm going to built myself this kit, but as I'm spending money right now, why stop? So I'm thinking of upgrading right away. Based on the Positive Review i want to upgrade to Supply capacitor and the coupling caps.

Can someone tell me what i need? I want to use the v-cap capacitors and the mundorf supply capacitor mentioned. Which ones do I need (specifications)?
Also thinking of an upgrade of the volume pot. Any suggestions?

Looking forward to your suggestions....

I'm looking at buying the TU-879S kit, and I'd like to know a few things first. What modifications are recommended during the kit assembly.
I see oil caps are recommended, as well as a tube upgrade. What about eliminating the feedback loop? or bypassing the volume control?
Also, what is the life expectancy of the stock tubes?
And what will the proper R-core transformer cost?

I'm looking at buying the TU-879S kit, and I'd like to know a few things first. What modifications are recommended during the kit assembly.

I see oil caps are recommended, as well as a tube upgrade.
I recommend to replace the pp capacitors to good oil caps.
You can replace the volume pot to TKD 2Cp601.

What about eliminating the feedback loop? I don't recommend to eliminate the NFB loop

or bypassing the volume control?it is ok
Also, what is the life expectancy of the stock tubes?it depends on a of lot factors but under nornal usage the stock 6L6 should have 2000 hours
And what will the proper R-core transformer cost? $85

If you want more upgrade options, I recommend you to look at TU-8230.
For $250 more, this amp is far superior then TU-879s in all respect.

I see oil caps are recommended, as well as a tube upgrade. What about eliminating the feedback loop? or bypassing the volume control?
Also, what is the life expectancy of the stock tubes?
And what will the proper R-core transformer cost?

I am using the SED winged =C= 6L6 tubes and it is clearly better at harmonics than the EH 6L6. Hard to go back to the EH after that - so much is missing without it. The online reviews are true when they praise this tube for harmonic bloom.

--Gobble

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.