Elekit TU-879S 6L6GC - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Elekit

Elekit News and products from Elekit

Old 13th April 2012, 05:12 AM   #91
diyAudio Member

Thanks Victor. Today, I completed a linear power supply for the Squeezebox Touch and it has made a remarkable difference for the better. I have asked the people at Welborne Labs if they can provide a power supply for the TU-875. It is already a good-sounding preamp and the only complaints some people have is a slightly compressed soundstage. What do you want to bet that a good linear power supply makes a huge difference on TU-875?
Old 13th April 2012, 05:17 AM   #92
vkung is offline vkung  Canada
diyAudio Member

For sure, a good power supply will make a huge difference for TU-875
Old 16th April 2012, 02:55 PM   #93
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoformer View Post
Victor, please note my mistake in the first sentence. I am asking if the TU-875 preamp can be run on battery power, not the TU-879... Thanks for forwarding to Mr. Fujita!

Mr. Fujita is back to his office today and here is his reply regarding TU-875 power by DC (battery) instead of switch adaptor:
========================================================= =======================================
There is no problem to operate TU-875 with battery. However voltage of TU-875 is 7V and it is not appropriate for smooth operation for it.

If you replace R83 (0.47ohm) to jumper wire, you could operate it with 6V battery.

Approx 2 ampere constant current flows when you use 6V battery.
So please be aware of the capacity of the battery when you use it.

================================================== ================================================== ==

Last edited by vkung; 17th April 2012 at 05:37 AM.
Old 17th April 2012, 12:47 AM   #94
diyAudio Member

Victor, thank you very much for making this inquiry with Mr. Fujita. I have tested the TU-875 with a 1500mAh 2-cell LiFePo pack at 6.6v output. I could only run it for a short period of time (around 30 min) as the TU-875 does indeed seem to draw its rated 2A.

The results of my test are honestly quite dramatic. The TU-875 on battery power sounds completely different. First of all, the soundstage is much larger. Small details in recordings start to emerge in a startling way. Separation of individual instruments improves in an obvious way. Dynamics are way up and yet the sound is less fatiguing. Even poorly recorded classic 70s rock is easier on the ears. Bass is stronger, high frequencies are smoother and more open. The general demeanor of the TU-875 on battery power is that of a much more refined preamp. It is clear to me that TU-875 is a sleeping giant that only needs better power to reach its full potential.

I have ordered a linear power supply from Welborne Labs that will supply 7V at a 2A current draw. I think that should provide most of the same magic as I heard with the battery power supply.

I am also going to look into building a LiFePo battery power supply that will supply the TU-875 for around 6 hours and shut off before the batteries are drained to zero and thus damaged. Also, with an integrated charger that can be taken out of the circuit when the preamp is being powered.
Old 21st May 2012, 08:42 PM   #95
diyAudio Member

hi,
I've finished to build tu879s kit and it's a very good amp. But for vinyl a prť amp is really necessary ( i've got 6sn7 srpp prťamp). i rediscover my vinyl..

Thanks.
Old 22nd May 2012, 11:13 PM   #96
diyAudio Member

You need a phono amp for LP Record
Old 31st July 2012, 08:55 PM   #97
diyAudio Member

Bah!! Of course I join this forum and find this thread shortly AFTER ordering the kit from Tube Depot. I guess I'll have to see how it goes with the supplied power transformer and then go from there.

This has been an enlightening thread!

-Pat
Old 1st August 2012, 08:41 AM   #98
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubdriver View Post
Bah!! Of course I join this forum and find this thread shortly AFTER ordering the kit from Tube Depot. I guess I'll have to see how it goes with the supplied power transformer and then go from there.

This has been an enlightening thread!

-Pat
Hi Pat

Yes, your TU-879S has an aftermarket R-core. If you are not happy about your aftermarket R-core. I have an original Japanese R-core in stock.
Old 1st August 2012, 02:06 PM   #99
diyAudio Member

Hi Victor -

I may not get to build it right away (in the midst of a home renovation right now), but for information's sake, what's an arm-waving price on the Japanese transformer so I'll have an idea if I decide to retrofit it later? (US $)

Thanks!
Old 1st August 2012, 03:18 PM   #100
diyAudio Member

Actually, belay that last request - the kit just arrived, and appears to have the original Japanese-made power transformer - it's labeled PT-877 120V A1H3T and has only two white primary leads. It matches those shown in this thread:

DIY Audio Projects Forum • Elekit TU-879S (SE 6L6GC) Tube Amplifier Kit Build Notes

Pat

Hide this!Advertise here!