Sony CDP-302 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > The diyAudio Store

The diyAudio Store A forum for discussing anything about the products available in The diyAudio Store.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd May 2014, 06:13 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Sony CDP-302

Hi

I have a Sony CDP-302 brought with me from Canada to the U.K. in 1989. Haven't used it since then because it had a problem opening the CD drawer. I have been told by Sony tecky that it needs a loading belt, a loading motor and loading motor housing, but unable to source parts in the U.K.

What's the chance of getting either new or used parts in the U.S. or Canada? I'm not an electronic whiz kid, but have built a complete Heathkit stereo system in my youth. If I can get the parts, I'll have a go at installing them and servicing the moveable mechanisms, etc.
Old 9th August 2014, 11:56 PM   #2
Robcrx is offline Robcrx  Canada
diyAudio Member

I have 2 of these players, both mint cosmetically, but 1 has a playing issue where it stops after 20 seconds.
Old 10th August 2014, 11:36 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Sony CDP 302

Local Sony repair centre said that my player needed new belts and a tray motor, but could not get the parts. Frankly, no one today wants to repair vintage equipment. They want to buy you new products.

I found a supplier in Germany who sold me two replacement belts, but I haven't installed them yet. I will try to locate a replacement motor if necessary. Meanwhile, my player is not useable, but I'm determined to repair it, because it's in mint condition and is superior to most CD players of today, except the very upscale ones.
Old 10th August 2014, 12:29 PM   #4
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

I doubt the motor is faulty tbh, well at least not a first suspect. If you unsolder one end of the motor (it must be electrically isolated) then you can dab a 1.5 volt battery across it momentarily to test. If he motor is "sticky" (which isn't likely tbh) then if you isolate it mechanically and electrically you can zap it with a 9 volt battery each way around. That will clean up crud on the commutator.

CPC in the UK do belts and such like for peanuts.
Old 10th August 2014, 10:18 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Sony CDP 302

Thanks for your tips on the motor. I will give it a go.

Hide this!Advertise here!