Sony CDP-302

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I have a Sony CDP-302 brought with me from Canada to the U.K. in 1989. Haven't used it since then because it had a problem opening the CD drawer. I have been told by Sony tecky that it needs a loading belt, a loading motor and loading motor housing, but unable to source parts in the U.K.

What's the chance of getting either new or used parts in the U.S. or Canada? I'm not an electronic whiz kid, but have built a complete Heathkit stereo system in my youth. If I can get the parts, I'll have a go at installing them and servicing the moveable mechanisms, etc.

Sony CDP 302

Local Sony repair centre said that my player needed new belts and a tray motor, but could not get the parts. Frankly, no one today wants to repair vintage equipment. They want to buy you new products.

I found a supplier in Germany who sold me two replacement belts, but I haven't installed them yet. I will try to locate a replacement motor if necessary. Meanwhile, my player is not useable, but I'm determined to repair it, because it's in mint condition and is superior to most CD players of today, except the very upscale ones.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I doubt the motor is faulty tbh, well at least not a first suspect. If you unsolder one end of the motor (it must be electrically isolated) then you can dab a 1.5 volt battery across it momentarily to test. If he motor is "sticky" (which isn't likely tbh) then if you isolate it mechanically and electrically you can zap it with a 9 volt battery each way around. That will clean up crud on the commutator.

CPC in the UK do belts and such like for peanuts.

After sending it to my local service shop, they were able to repair my cdp-302.
It needed some resistors replaced and they changed the belts as well.
Cost me $80.00 though, 3 month warranty.

I'm pretty sure after all the years of lightning strikes, it could have fried some parts of the unit. Maybe that is why it stopped reading discs.

Sounds great and tracks awesome !

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzwqpFfYlLM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.