Super Regulator

From original SuperReg article
" but the actual voltage at the load is separately returned to the regulator
sense point and reference ground"

I don't understand how this is connected? So I connect my + voltage and grnd to load what do I return to sense circuit. Let say I am powering +5 to a Tansceiver and DAC IC board. Is sense at load return?
PS V+/GRND> DAC IC IN V+/GRND > PS Sense V+/GRND
So I would use a sheilded 2 wire cable with 1each at PS V+/Vsense, Grnd/Grnd ref and both at DAC V+/Grnd?
Thanks for your help!!
Steve​

Hi guys,

I built my super reg yesterday after a fair amount of messing around getting parts. I've been looking forward to it for weeks. I finished stuffing the board at about 2am and couldn't resist hooking it up immediately. Unfortunately, I had taken the pin layout on the schematic literally instead of following the traces, and in my haste I hooked the damn thing up to the the power supply backwards! *BANG*! It's fried now, of course. Back to Mouser I go. Oh well, it looked pretty while it lasted.

Jan, if you ever do a v2.3, would you consider labelling the I/O pins for dummies like me?

temporary_zps6b099e3b.jpg

Edit: By the way, I'm so glad you put the note suggesting against splurging on boutique parts, otherwise I might've sent some Black Gates up in smoke.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
It appears there's plenty of room on the PCB, next to the input connector (J1), to install a 40 volt, 5 amp Schottky diode like the SB540. Mounted either horizontally or vertically, as you please. Connected in series between the input J1 and the rest of the board.

(Here is the datasheet). When conducting 1.0 amps at room temp, it only drops 0.3V. And the voltage drop decreases as the temperature rises. A cheap and easy way to protect the board when the inputs are accidentally connected backwards.

It'd require a re-spin of the PCB layouts, and discarding all existing inventory. Dunno if these are deal breakers.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I built my super reg yesterday after a fair amount of messing around getting parts. I've been looking forward to it for weeks. I finished stuffing the board at about 2am and couldn't resist hooking it up immediately. Unfortunately, I had taken the pin layout on the schematic literally instead of following the traces, and in my haste I hooked the damn thing up to the the power supply backwards! *BANG*! It's fried now, of course. Back to Mouser I go. Oh well, it looked pretty while it lasted.

Jan, if you ever do a v2.3, would you consider labelling the I/O pins for dummies like me?

temporary_zps6b099e3b.jpg

Edit: By the way, I'm so glad you put the note suggesting against splurging on boutique parts, otherwise I might've sent some Black Gates up in smoke.

Same thing happened to me on one channel, it was late...I rushed things. Replace the chips and caps and maybe the LED's and you will be up and running soon. It's worth it. Jan's super reg is really good.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It appears there's plenty of room on the PCB, next to the input connector (J1), to install a 40 volt, 5 amp Schottky diode like the SB540. Mounted either horizontally or vertically, as you please. Connected in series between the input J1 and the rest of the board.

(Here is the datasheet). When conducting 1.0 amps at room temp, it only drops 0.3V. And the voltage drop decreases as the temperature rises. A cheap and easy way to protect the board when the inputs are accidentally connected backwards.

It'd require a re-spin of the PCB layouts, and discarding all existing inventory. Dunno if these are deal breakers.

Mark that's a good idea, I'll see if I can add it to the next run. The standard way to do these things is to put a diode across the input in reverse, so when you connect the input upside down, it shorts it out.

Jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Would it be possible to use the positive super regulator for 340V output? Maybe like maida-style regulator?

Thanks.

I do have a separate reg for high voltage applications.
It is different from the superreg because the control circuitry is floating and it need a floating ac voltage to power the control stuff. I designed it with tube amps in mind, so it can be powered from a spare 6.3V heater voltage.
Output voltage is really unlimited (I have one on my desk outputting 2.1kV :cool:) and Vout is set with a single resistor value.

It's not in the open domain yet but if you want to try it out, I can probably sell you a proto board.

Jan

...................The standard way to do these things is to put a diode across the input in reverse, so when you connect the input upside down, it shorts it out.

Jan
this diode across the power input works even better if you power ON via a bulb tester.
The diode tells the filament in the bulb tester to heat up and the "automatic protection" is enabled.

Nothing, not even the mains fuse, gets damaged.

Yeah pour choice of words... I meant parallel to each other... In series outputs makes more sense as a sentence :)

Isolated PSUs? I was thinking dual secondaries. So I just do not connect the raw supplies at the prefilters? Just run them in parallel and connect just the outputs of the regs to form the common 0V reference?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You need to feed each reg with a completely separated supply, no connections! Also not to ground!
So a good solution would be to have a xformer with two separated secondaries, then each into its own rectifier and filter cap. Then from each filter cap to the regs, and the regs only connected in series at their outputs, and you then ground the output interconnection. You have then one pos and one neg output referred to that interconnection that you can ground.
Consider each reg as a battery, and you know how to put two batteries in series, right.

Easier to draw than to describe, I now realise ;)

Jan

Thanks so much gents, I have new parts on the way and will add the Schottky diode as suggested. I can't wait to hear the improvement over the 7812/7912s that I am currently living with.

Hi Ben ,:)
As a helpful aid I use a RED and a Black magic marker to color the holes on the wire connectors it's EZ and cheep and so far has worked well for me!:D
I am using my regs with a dac from Russ White at twisted pear and yes it makes a better sound now !:whip:
Good Luck to ya!
NS