Super Regulator - Page 21 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > The diyAudio Store

The diyAudio Store A forum for discussing anything about the products available in The diyAudio Store.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th February 2014, 04:49 PM   #201
eddyvb is offline eddyvb  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Default Fancy power LED indicator?

Anyone a circuit idea for a power LED indicator, LED output is faint when power supply is delivering standby current to the external device, and bright when the external device is on, requesting more current from PS?
Old 20th February 2014, 05:32 PM   #202
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNYCR100 View Post
Sorry to jump in with a basic question this far in the thread.. but I just discovered the thread today and wanted to implement the super reg as my first real DIY " newbee audio project" (with no magic smoke if possible)

I would like to replace my squeezebox touch PSU (1.5A) and the +5v on my CD Pro 2 Drive (1.5A)......

a. I have some AD797AN available..is a good choice for U1?

b...Also.... as I only require 2 +5 v PSUS can the negative side of the PCB be adapted for positive operation? (save buying 2 sets of PCBS?)

c... and..I also have to hand some BC550C but I don't think that's up to the pass transistor job is it?

Thanks for putting up with the questions this late on...I tried doing the math's by looking at the past threads but my results way off (I think?)

regards

Johnny
Sorry for the late reply:
If you have a transformer with two separate secondaries, you can use one secondary for the pos reg and one for the neg reg. Then you connect the output of the neg reg to ground, and the 'ground' end of the neg reg become another pos regulated output. Be sure that none of the 'ground' connections of the neg reg is connected to ground but instead to the 'pos regulated output',

jan
Old 20th February 2014, 05:33 PM   #203
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyvb View Post
Anyone a circuit idea for a power LED indicator, LED output is faint when power supply is delivering standby current to the external device, and bright when the external device is on, requesting more current from PS?
Eddy, depends a bit on the difference between no-load and load current. How much is it?

Jan
Old 20th February 2014, 05:44 PM   #204
diyAudio Member

Quote:
A microcontroller with onboard ADC and nonvolatile memory ("flash" or "EEPROM") could do this, and in fact it could learn the different supply currents that occur when the powered equipment runs in its various operating modes. Merely a small matter of software
Old 21st February 2014, 04:44 PM   #205
eddyvb is offline eddyvb  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post
Eddy, depends a bit on the difference between no-load and load current. How much is it?
Jan
Hi Jan, standby current is 100mA, 'on' is 440mA @18V.
I've put a lm317 circuit in front of the super reg. Maybe I can do something between the 2 reg's..
ps: great superreg pcb quality!
Old 21st February 2014, 04:51 PM   #206
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
- It's possible to use the negative PS board, but you have to invert all polarized components on the board. Also you have to cut all the tracks to the opamp en swap input pins, and also voltage pins.
- For 1.5 amps output, most likely you have to tweak the current source (R1). Be careful not to overload the opamp. I've increased to current source from 4mA to 7.5mA to get 1A out with some margin. A larger heatsink could be necessary.
..the opamp en swap input pins, and also voltage pins.... No that's not true. Only the supply pins, 4 and 7.
Old 23rd February 2014, 06:03 PM   #207
diyAudio Member

Default B.O.M. For Different Output Voltages

Jan or anyone else - can you link us to or post where we can get info on the different parts need for:

+/- 5 Volt Output

and +/- 24 Volt Output

Thanks !
Old 24th February 2014, 05:46 PM   #208
Hikari1 is offline Hikari1  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes..I'd love to know how to get +/-24V output of this reg.

Anyone know the specifics?
Old 24th February 2014, 06:38 PM   #209
Stixx is offline Stixx  Germany
I am
diyAudio Member

The secret is READING the first pages and downloading the information. It's all in there. Sometimes it pays to think before writing...
Old 24th February 2014, 08:23 PM   #210
diyAudio Member

I do appreciate the interest for different output voltages. But to be honest, I spend several days to write up these things and trying to be as clear as possible, to help prospective builders to be successful.
I do NOT make any money from this, not a penny.

I do not always have time to redo all this for all individual cases, and would recommend to read the article.
It is really very easy, and if you spend a few minutes you will be able to customise this to your hearts' extend, rather than having to beg someone else and then waiting impatiently until anybody takes the trouble to check it out for you.
This IS diy...

Jan

Hide this!Advertise here!