Super Regulator - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > The diyAudio Store

The diyAudio Store A forum for discussing anything about the products available in The diyAudio Store.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2014, 08:39 AM   #111
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyvb View Post
Dag Jan,
Is it possible to use this regulator in separate box, feeding a DAC via a quite long 30/40 cm cable? I've got an Antelope DAC, and this box needs 18V/1A DC. I would like to replace the supplied stock SMPS with a linear one. And is it possible connect the SReg sensing input to the end of this cable (connector on the DAC side) without making things even worse due to the also long sensing wires, picking up noise?

Eddy
Dag Eddy,

Yes you can do that, be sure to use a screenend cable for the sense. Screen connect to ground at the reg PCB. It also is a good idea to connect the output sense line, coming from the load, at the PCB via something like 100 ohms, and put something like 100pF from the point where the 100 ohms connect to the PCB to ground. With such a long cable the inductance can cause some stablility issues and with the hf filter that is cured.
I'm thinking to put this option on the next batch of the PCBs as well.

Jan
Old 6th January 2014, 09:50 AM   #112
diyAudio Member

Jan,

Thank you for your work on this.
What about a version with 317/337 pre regulators ?
Old 6th January 2014, 11:03 AM   #113
hirez69 is offline hirez69  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post
Vin, I think you missed this: Super Regulator

Jan
I apologize Jan, but I missed your answer.
thanks!!
Old 6th January 2014, 03:24 PM   #114
eddyvb is offline eddyvb  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Dag Eddy,

Yes you can do that, be sure to use a screenend cable for the sense. Screen connect to ground at the reg PCB. It also is a good idea to connect the output sense line, coming from the load, at the PCB via something like 100 ohms, and put something like 100pF from the point where the 100 ohms connect to the PCB to ground. With such a long cable the inductance can cause some stablility issues and with the hf filter that is cured.
I'm thinking to put this option on the next batch of the PCBs as well.

Jan
Thanks Jan, it shall be a nice winter project. So, circuit will be like attached picture? Can you advice me for the buffer cap? Is 5000uF enough? This gives 2V ripple @ 1A. If my math is correct.. For the transfo AC voltage I get: (18v DC output + 2v regdrop+2v ripple+1.5v rectifier) / 1.41 = about 17V AC?

Eddy

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 6th January 2014, 04:09 PM   #115
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks Jan, it shall be a nice winter project. So, circuit will be like attached picture? Can you advice me for the buffer cap? Is 5000uF enough? This gives 2V ripple @ 1A. If my math is correct.. For the transfo AC voltage I get: (18v DC output + 2v regdrop+2v ripple+1.5v rectifier) / 1.41 = about 17V AC?

Eddy

Click the image to open in full size.
You only need the 100 ohms + 100pF in the load sense line, not in the gnd line.
The transfo values look OK, but don't forget that the line voltage can drop as much as 10% during a day.
To be safe I'd go with a 20VAC xformer, preferably center-tapped so you only lose one diode drop.

Jan
Old 7th January 2014, 10:18 AM   #116
diyAudio Member

Thanks Jan,
I need 1A ouput current, with a hfe of 40 for the series transistor, 25mA is needed to get this output current. Is it ok to increase the current source from now about 8mA (I guess) to 25mA by reducing the 249R resistor? The opamp must sink 25mA but seems to be within spec. Or is it better to use a darlington power transistor for Q1?

Eddy
Old 9th January 2014, 10:02 AM   #117
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks Jan,
I need 1A ouput current, with a hfe of 40 for the series transistor, 25mA is needed to get this output current. Is it ok to increase the current source from now about 8mA (I guess) to 25mA by reducing the 249R resistor? The opamp must sink 25mA but seems to be within spec. Or is it better to use a darlington power transistor for Q1?

Eddy
I would just look for a pass device with higher Hfe - 40 seems quite low. Is that a minimum spec or have you measured it?

Jan
Old 9th January 2014, 10:04 AM   #118
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanAS View Post
I might like to use just one of these, components set appropriately for 0 to 30V, spanning across both rails of the fully balanced headphone amp, because it's 'balanced', ie, two parallel amplifiers, no earth reference. The current path through the load is strait from one voltage rail to the other, the output capacitors one plate, through the load, to it's other plate. Supply effectively 15V.

Can you chaps suggest any reason why would not work?

Will I need a more beefy out put cap? The amp currently has polymer caps across it, and black gates, and tiny 10uF multilayer polyester caps on the pins of the output chips, so a very low impedance, maybe 10mOhms, will these need to be removed or will the regulator be OK?

Thanks.
Sorry Ian, missed this as the notification mail ended up in my spam folder.

I would just use one reg, the pos one, set to 30V. Always better than having two in series, plus you have the neg one for another project or as a gift

Jan
Old 9th January 2014, 11:17 AM   #119
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I would just look for a pass device with higher Hfe - 40 seems quite low. Is that a minimum spec or have you measured it?

Jan
It was the minimum stated in the D44H11 datasheet table. But checked it again, this hfe 40 is at max current trough the transistor. At 1A it is still about 200, so no problem!
Old 9th January 2014, 01:13 PM   #120
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanAS View Post
Which Jung /Didden super reg is the one tested in the Linear Audio Super Regulator Article?
It was the Jung Regulator on the boards Jan designed with the LM317/337 pre-regulators. AD825AR was the error amplifier.

Hide this!Advertise here!