Power Supply Soft Start Board (V3) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > The diyAudio Store

The diyAudio Store A forum for discussing anything about the products available in The diyAudio Store.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th December 2013, 08:56 AM   #1
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Default Power Supply Soft Start Board (V3)

This thread is for discussions about the Power Supply Soft Start Board (V3) in the store. This is an updated version of the Soft Start V2 boards, primarily to make them compatible with the 10x10 grid mounting pattern we've now standardized on so they can be easily mounted to Deluxe chassis baseplate, riser panels, front panels and/or heatsinks. Refer to the Soft Start V2 discussion thread for additional information.

Change History
  • 2.0 First Production Version
  • 2.0.1 Added board dimensions
  • 3.0 New Layout
    • Double sided board
    • Moved AC in and Txfrmr connections to ends of board
    • Added Keystone connectors as option
    • Conforms to 10mm mounting grid
  • For future changes
    • Add polarity markers for electrolytic capacitor

Information
  • Product Page
  • BOM - Attached below (Last updated: Jan 14 2014)
  • Schematic - Coming soon
  • Dimensions - 110mm x 55mm
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Soft Start board BOM v3.pdf (268.2 KB, 470 views)
File Type: zip Soft Start board BOM v3.xlsx.zip (38.1 KB, 115 views)

Last edited by Jason; 14th January 2014 at 09:19 AM.
Old 18th December 2013, 01:51 AM   #2
Bones13 is offline Bones13  United States
Techie Wanabe
diyAudio Member

Assembled my V3 Soft Start Board tonight, with the parts I had previously purchased from the V2 BOM. After changing some designations, I went to work.

Pretty smooth assembly. It would help for a new schematic for this board be posted, the component designations are not the same as for the V2, while the circuit is the same.

The only 2 things that would have worked a bit better for me:

1) C3 could have a better polarity marking. There is the circle and square, but I had to go back to the schematic to be certain. A plus sign would have removed any worry.

2) I am using spade connectors for my power connections. You have pads with 8 through holes for direct connection of all sorts of wires, but only the 2 in the middle will hold a spade. It would be nice to have spots for 2 spades for each pad, perhaps the outer 4 corner holes spaced for the connectors, or whatever.

Very minor points to be sure, just suggestions for next run. I really appreciate the mounting hole spacing for the new cases, one of which I am using.

A question though. I am building the Aleph J, and have the parts for the original Pass design PSU. Should I be adding the 0.0033 filter cap, or is that taken care of in this board?
Old 18th December 2013, 07:52 AM   #3
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Thanks for the feedback. We'll look at C3 marking for the next revision. We agonized for a while over connection options but decided in the end that the Keystone connectors were so awesome we just had to use them. We tried to make it so we could fit more spades on but things were 1mm out here and there, different sized leads, etc. My suggestion is use the Keystone connectors

I will try to find someone to answer your question about the filter cap.
Old 18th December 2013, 10:11 AM   #4
Techie Wanabe
diyAudio Member

I did not look down at the connectors part of the new BOM, I used the V2 BOM back when I ordered my stuff. Those keystone terminals look pretty good, I will agree. I will withdraw my suggestion, and concur with your choice there. I don't think I'll de-solder the spades though this build though. Next time for sure though.
Old 19th December 2013, 03:27 PM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones13 View Post

A question though. I am building the Aleph J, and have the parts for the original Pass design PSU. Should I be adding the 0.0033 filter cap, or is that taken care of in this board?
Hi,

The 0.0033 AC cap is for filtering AC mains noise and should still be used even with the use of the soft start boards.

You can conveniently solder this cap directly on your PEM, just a suggestion.

Cheers

Jojo
Old 19th December 2013, 05:12 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Just a reminder to use an X1 rated (across AC line) capacitor in this position for safety.
Old 19th December 2013, 05:53 PM   #7
Techie Wanabe
diyAudio Member

Thank you both. I already have the filter cap, as I initially planned the standard Pass PSU construction. Upsizing the toroid to 500, and slightly increased cap size made me consider the soft start, and then the boards showed up.
Old 20th December 2013, 01:20 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Boards arrived this week whilst I was away.
It'll give me something to do when I'm not drunk over the holidays
:-)
Old 27th December 2013, 08:36 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Thanks for working on and releasing v3
Hope you all are having a nice Christmas holiday

I'm tempted to build one of the power soft start kits. If you have built one did you notice any loss of dynamics or timing when playing music compared to the time before you installed it?
Old 28th December 2013, 09:44 AM   #10
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Steve,

Once the relay contacts shorts out the load resistors, the transformer will be effectively connected to the mains as if the soft start board ain't there at all so I doubt if any sonic difference will arise from it's use in any amp or preamp project.

Cheers

Jojo

Hide this!Advertise here!