Speaker Turn On Delay and DC Protector Board Set (V3)

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
This thread is for discussions about the new Speaker Turn-On Delay and DC Protector boards (V3). This is an updated version of the V2 boards, primarily to make them compatible with the 10x10 grid mounting pattern we've now standardized on so they can be easily mounted to Deluxe chassis baseplate, riser panels, front panels and/or heatsinks. Refer to the V2 discussion thread for additional information.

For more information on this product, please see the product page.

Change History
  • 2.0 First Production Release
  • 2.0.1 Added Board Dimensions
  • 3.0 New Layout
    • Double sided board
    • Added Keystone connectors as option
    • Conforms to 10mm mounting grid
  • For future changes
    • Add polarity markers for electrolytic capacitors

Information
  • Product Page
  • BOM - Attached below (Now updated to V3.0.2b) -- 3-paged BOM
  • Schematic - Coming soon
  • Dimensions - 100mm x 50mm

Attachments

• Speaker Protection Board BOM V3.0.2b.xls.zip
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,574
Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Last edited:
Built mine out today and both LEDs light up continuously from the start, immediately engaging the relays.

Everything look right? I had my LEDs in the opposite from what I expected, I think I got everything else correct.

WiyOQ4n.jpg

GdWMFDV.jpg

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Some assembly photos -

IMG_2361.jpg

IMG_2364.jpg

Diodes first

IMG_2365.jpg

Then resistors.

IMG_2367.jpg

This end of the PCB has shorter things that the other, so I suggest this side to stuff first,

IMG_2368.jpg

Then add your connections here. You may use the male spades, screw terminals, or bare wire, I used two types here for illustration. The Keystone screw terminals are really nice.

IMG_2369.jpg

Relays

IMG_2370.jpg

And finally the tall capacitors in the center.

PLEASE READ -
The current BOM asks for the -C suffix transistors, and I blindly ordered the mouser part number from it. So my transistors need to dance. Thanks bigkraig for spotting this! (Of course, i determined it after they were stuffed, so a bunch of things got un-soldered... :)
Hopefully the BOM can be updated with little fuss.

IMG_2375.jpg

Shimmy shimmy shake shake

IMG_2376.jpg

And waltz!

IMG_2374.jpg

That's as far as I got, testing and installation to come.

Oh......
Just read the notes on the datasheet where it does indeed say the C suffix is centre collector.
My bad.
Updating BOM now.

I would be nice if their datasheet showed two pinout images showing both versions. It is quite misleading the way it is... Poorly represented and so easy to miss. I mean at least put an asterisk next to the pinout image or something.

I bought the GTA versions. I hope they will work!