V3 Universal Power Supply Circuit Board - Page 20 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > The diyAudio Store

The diyAudio Store A forum for discussing anything about the products available in The diyAudio Store.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2014, 01:37 PM   #191
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

What did you order? What pinout do they have?

The board is made for 10mm lead spacing 'snap-in' caps .
Old 14th January 2014, 01:52 PM   #192
diyAudio Member

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure that all of the Panasonic caps with 10k microfarads at higher voltages use the 4 pinout types (2 for stability).
Old 14th January 2014, 02:20 PM   #193
diyAudio Member

Depends on the voltage.

There are 10mm snap in 80V 10,000uF, 35mm dia. from Nichicon, United Chemi-con, Cornell-Dublier, and others.
Old 14th January 2014, 02:31 PM   #194
diyAudio Member

OK, I will check out the Nichicon. Tempted to drill into the board.
Old 14th January 2014, 02:41 PM   #195
diyAudio Member

Don't drill. Bad idea.

What caps do you have? Are they 3-pin, 4-pin, or something else? What value/voltage and series?
Old 15th January 2014, 03:43 PM   #196
diyAudio Member

Default Max power per power supply? Driving 5 Leach Amps w 1KVA 84VCT

OK, just wondering what is the max amount of power I can squeeze through one of the power supply circuit boards. I have a 1KVA 84VCT torroidal transformer that I want to use to power 5 Leach Amp modules. From what I gather, it looks like fully populating the cap side of the board w the 10k uF 80V caps I have should cover that side of the issue, and that the diodes would be the limiting factor.

I'd prefer to use the least number of modules possible as I'm attempting to squeeze this all into one chassis smaller than a bus - I have to hit those spousal approval factor specs! I'm running heatsinks with heatpipes that are considerably smaller that the full passive heatsinks spec'd in the Leach amp plans (but that have the same thermal specs of course - they'll just need a small thermal controlled fan that will ramp up when the heatsinks get hot, when they're pumping out enough heat that the fan ramps up, they'll never be heard with that level of sound pressure).

I like the idea of using TO-247/TO-3P or TO-220 package diodes as opposed to using monolithic bridges - why pay for the PCB and not use it, plus much cleaner implementation of snubbers, cleaner ground, etc.

So I guess I'm looking for the largest current capacity diodes that can handle the reverse voltage I need - any suggestions? Years ago, IIRC someone mentioned Schottkey diodes as being quieter than others (or maybe it was a higher slew rate, I don't recall - in any event, they were preferable).

Anyone here with experience with pushing max amounts of power through this board?
Old 8th February 2014, 08:04 AM   #197
diyAudio Member

I received the boards (V3.0), they look/feel very solid, quality stuff.

Having only build a few chip-amps before, this is my first stab at a proper PSU so please forgive my ignorance.

I’m putting the BOM together for a F5 build, so I’m looking for a 24Vdc rail of a 2x18v transformer, which I already bought, as well as 8x 10000uf 40vdc caps.

What’s not quite clear to me is how I derive what R1-R8 values to use. The BOM V1.0 10/24/2013 sheet specifies “0.47R - 1R” and there are 3 additional “optional” resistors either side and also what bleeder resistor value would people recommend for a 24Vdc output?

If it’s a question of trail an error, what’s the best way to approach this. Any suggestion would be appreaciated.

Thanks,

Last edited by stijn001; 8th February 2014 at 08:06 AM.
Old 8th February 2014, 11:04 AM   #198
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stijn001 View Post
I received the boards (V3.0), they look/feel very solid, quality stuff.

Having only build a few chip-amps before, this is my first stab at a proper PSU so please forgive my ignorance.

Iím putting the BOM together for a F5 build, so Iím looking for a 24Vdc rail of a 2x18v transformer, which I already bought, as well as 8x 10000uf 40vdc caps.

Whatís not quite clear to me is how I derive what R1-R8 values to use. The BOM V1.0 10/24/2013 sheet specifies ď0.47R - 1RĒ and there are 3 additional ďoptionalĒ resistors either side and also what bleeder resistor value would people recommend for a 24Vdc output?

If itís a question of trail an error, whatís the best way to approach this. Any suggestion would be appreaciated.

Thanks,

R1-R8 forms a CRC filer together with the first and final caps. Choosing the resistor values is determined by the current the load will draw from the power supply. You drop the voltage you don't need through these resistors.

It is basically Ohm's Law from there.
Old 8th February 2014, 11:42 AM   #199
diyAudio Member

You can just copy Pass' PS and use (IIRC) 6 0R47 per rail or is it 7? Not a big difference either way.

For Bleeders it's your call, balancing time to discharge and dissipation. Around 1K5-2K 2-3W is reasonable. At1K5 dissipation is under 0.5W.
Old 8th February 2014, 12:16 PM   #200
diyAudio Member

Great, thanks for the heads up. Good point to look up what Nelson originally documented, 4x 0R47 in parallel. I’ll start with that, I can always add one or two more later.

As for the bleeder resistor, I’ve found this spreadsheet: www.nilno.com/docs/BleedRes.xls, So now understand the relationship a little bit better.

Hide this!Advertise here!