V3 Universal Power Supply Circuit Board - Page 18 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > The diyAudio Store

The diyAudio Store A forum for discussing anything about the products available in The diyAudio Store.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd November 2013, 01:44 AM   #171
chuckd is offline chuckd  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I have a question about the v3 PSU board and capacitors used in its circuit. I've read a bit some capacitors being better for audio than others and they tend to be quite expensive. I'm happy to spend a bit more for a better quality sound but not unnecessarily.

So, could someone please clarify for me that the capacitors used in this PSU (this is for an F5t v3) dont need to be these high end type capacitors? I figure this because as far as I can tell, the audio signal from the source is not travelling through the PSU so wont be affected by the capacitors.

Is that correct?

Old 23rd November 2013, 01:47 AM   #172
PKI is offline PKI  United States
diyAudio Member

You can use whatever pranks you like, but most people here and Nelson among them are using Panasonic snap in caps. They are really good for the application! If you have extra money, just increase capacitance and go dual mono. That will make much bigger improvement for the amp :-).
Old 24th November 2013, 09:31 PM   #173
diyAudio Member

thanks PKI. That's what I was planning on doing anyway but does the signal from the source travel through the PSU?
Old 24th November 2013, 11:59 PM   #174
mattmcl is offline mattmcl  United States
diyAudio Member

The input capacitors on the amplifier are generally the more critical caps to upgrade. Depends on what you're building but they are likely smaller and less in number- put your money there.

No, the sound signal does not pass through the PSU at all.
Old 25th November 2013, 02:29 AM   #175
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmcl View Post
Ground is ground is ground. So yes, it does.

That said, you are completely correct, upgrade the caps on the amp PCB if you want to get a decent improvement.
Old 25th November 2013, 08:00 AM   #176
diyAudio Member

thanks mattmcl and 6l6 for your responses. I will take your advice and upgrade the PCB caps if anything.
Old 25th November 2013, 09:19 AM   #177
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmcl View Post
The input capacitors on the amplifier are generally the more critical caps to upgrade. Depends on what you're building but they are likely smaller and less in number- put your money there.

The current coming out of the smoothing capacitors IS the music signal.
Gootee states this very eloquently.
Old 20th December 2013, 08:43 AM   #178
diyAudio Member

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to a voltage rating higher than necessary when selecting a capacitor in terms of long-term wear? Does this effect ESR over time?

I am under the impression that a higher voltage rating suggests that the capacitor will be more effective at dissipating heat so it can't hurt to go higher.
Old 20th December 2013, 09:00 AM   #179
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Electrolytic esr tends to be a bit lower as voltage rating is increased from the same range of caps from the specific manufacturer.
That lower esr leads to lower dissipated power and thus lower operating temperature for the same ripple current.

What I don't know is what the esr degenerates to, when a high voltage rating cap is used at a much lower voltage. It could be that the esr becomes as high as for the low voltage cap.
Old 20th December 2013, 02:01 PM   #180
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

Spend your money on a higher temperature rating - that is the specification that buys you the longer life.

Hide this!Advertise here!