V3 Universal Power Supply Circuit Board - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > The diyAudio Store

The diyAudio Store A forum for discussing anything about the products available in The diyAudio Store.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th October 2013, 05:06 PM   #111
jdg123 is offline jdg123  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks! That's a fine looking DAC you have made there!

I'd forgotten the restriction of all the leads being of the same length, thanks!

I was told on my first build of a vacuum tube amp that the components are all brought to the same point or at least same copper (thick) wire and the chassis got its own single ground. I used this idea and it worked fine, I just sort of forgot about it when doing all the research around this Aleph J build.

SS must be different than tube work. SS sure has its advantages :-)

Cheers!
Old 5th October 2013, 06:12 PM   #112
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg123 View Post
star ground question: Is the concept to bring every ground from every board (even the single ended RCA input too?) to a single slab of copper?

I have some 1/8" x 3/8" bar stock that would do if this is the case...

P.S. I know the chassis gets a single ground at or near the IEC connector.
I'd say Roger's photo of his DAC is a very good example of employing single point star ground. There are a lot of variations though but the whole concept is pretty much the same.

Cheers
Old 5th October 2013, 11:55 PM   #113
roger57 is offline roger57  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JojoD818 View Post
I'd say Roger's photo of his DAC is a very good example of employing single point star ground. There are a lot of variations though but the whole concept is pretty much the same.

Cheers
Quote:
Thanks! That's a fine looking DAC you have made there!

I'd forgotten the restriction of all the leads being of the same length, thanks!

I was told on my first build of a vacuum tube amp that the components are all brought to the same point or at least same copper (thick) wire and the chassis got its own single ground. I used this idea and it worked fine, I just sort of forgot about it when doing all the research around this Aleph J build.

SS must be different than tube work. SS sure has its advantages :-)

Cheers!
Thanks for the kind words.
As with solid state, tube circuits can also have ground loops that will trigger oscillations. In fact, tube circuits can be somewhat more prone due to the use of interstage coupling capacitors and any global feedback. Always good to play it safe and provide paths for return currents to a common node no matter what your amp flavor.

I'm thinking about jumping into the Pass domain and will probably build one of the amplifiers. However, I will end up designing my PCB's as I have preferences in components, especially caps - but will of course stick with the
known and recommended FETS.

Hope to exchange more notes in future. Thanks guys...
Old 6th October 2013, 12:06 AM   #114
diyAudio Member

Does anyone have a figure for inrush current on an Aleph J? Can I use a CL-80 instead of a CL-60 (3A instead of 5A)?
Old 6th October 2013, 01:17 AM   #115
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger57 View Post
Thanks for the kind words.
As with solid state, tube circuits can also have ground loops that will trigger oscillations. In fact, tube circuits can be somewhat more prone due to the use of interstage coupling capacitors and any global feedback. Always good to play it safe and provide paths for return currents to a common node no matter what your amp flavor.

I'm thinking about jumping into the Pass domain and will probably build one of the amplifiers. However, I will end up designing my PCB's as I have preferences in components, especially caps - but will of course stick with the
known and recommended FETS.

Hope to exchange more notes in future. Thanks guys...

I also build tube amps and preamps, and I totally agree that grounding can be a serious issue. It could spell a hum-free build or worse, buzzing like crazy.
Old 6th October 2013, 01:18 AM   #116
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Does anyone have a figure for inrush current on an Aleph J? Can I use a CL-80 instead of a CL-60 (3A instead of 5A)?

I would strongly suggest that you keep using what is recommended. The numbers are there for a reason, sometimes for as simple as reliable operation.
Old 6th October 2013, 01:35 AM   #117
roger57 is offline roger57  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If the author of the circuit indicated a 5A device, perhaps it's safest to stick with it. If you are familiar with the circuit's consumption, you can always refer to the datasheet from GE. It also includes good theory on calculating device requirements based on steady state current and other criteria. Take special note of the section "Energy surge at turn on"

http://www.ge-mcs.com/download/tempe...20-325D-LR.pdf

If you are using a toroid transformer - between that and a couple of 20kuf plus filter caps, expect seriously high inrush peaks, probably in the order of 80A to 100A, albeit for only a few tens of milliseconds.

If I build the supply, I would design in a relay to shunt the inrush to a load resistor for a couple hundred milliseconds to alleviate this.
Old 6th October 2013, 01:36 AM   #118
diyAudio Moderator

Incidentally, there is also a board available for inrush applications in the DA Store.
Old 6th October 2013, 11:52 AM   #119
diyAudio Member

Good sound advice. My thanks.
Old 16th October 2013, 01:37 PM   #120
Neville is offline Neville  United States
diyAudio Member

Any idea when pcb's will be in stock?

Hide this!Advertise here!