diyAudio F5 Build Guide - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > The diyAudio Store

The diyAudio Store A forum for discussing anything about the products available in The diyAudio Store.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th January 2013, 04:30 AM   #1
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Default diyAudio F5 Build Guide

This thread is for discussions about the diyAudio F5 Build Guide we have created for the First Watt F5 Amplifier by Nelson Pass. For more information on the boards available from the diyAudio Store, please see the information below.

Download the build guide here: diyAudio F5 Build Guide

Threads on diyAudio that relate to this product (If we have missed one, please post it in this thread and we will add it to the list):

Last edited by Jason; 16th January 2013 at 05:01 AM.
Old 16th January 2013, 08:57 AM   #2
ljufa is offline ljufa  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Thanks, very useful, added to bookmarks
Old 21st January 2013, 03:27 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Build guide question's

Very nice guide ! Have some question's though. Why was the purple transformer drain wire not used ? Why are the psu caps only 10,000uf @ 25v ? Could one use a Antek 300Va as opposed to a 400Va ? And last were CL-60's used on the primary of the transformer as shown in the schematic, if so how ? Thank's
Old 21st January 2013, 03:41 AM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor61 View Post
Very nice guide ! Have some question's though. Why was the purple transformer drain wire not used ? Why are the psu caps only 10,000uf @ 25v ? Could one use a Antek 300Va as opposed to a 400Va ? And last were CL-60's used on the primary of the transformer as shown in the schematic, if so how ? Thank's

Not all transformer have this feature and so for brevity, the purple wire was not used.

Those caps were already there at the time of publishing. The psu schematic calls for 15,000uf/25V, please follow that.

I believe a 300VA can be used also.

Yes the CL-60s were used, please see Page 35. The CL-60s were soldered directly to the leads of the transformer and insulated accordingly. It is however for a mains of 240VAC, please see Page 5 for 120V mains operation.
Old 21st January 2013, 03:47 AM   #5
JZatopa is online now JZatopa  United States
diyAudio Member

What about a guide for matching semiconductors? I know you can find out how with a search online but adding a "why to/how to" to this post would help people out.
Old 21st January 2013, 04:02 AM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJNUBZ View Post
What about a guide for matching semiconductors? I know you can find out how with a search online but adding a "why to/how to" to this post would help people out.

I actually made a matching jig that can be used with an external power supply and a DMM to match the fets used in our prototypes but that should be for another thread. Thank you, maybe in the next revision.
Attached Images
File Type: png Power Mosfet Rig.png (119.2 KB, 2766 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2805.JPG (535.5 KB, 2729 views)
Old 20th February 2013, 04:33 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Great guide JopJo, so useful. I am slightly under sized in caps, I have 10000 on hand, will this make a big difference? or should I try to add more caps after the power supply board.

thanks, John
Old 20th February 2013, 04:38 PM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

The prototype used 10,000uf caps because that's what we already have in hand at the time. So far we noticed no noise in the amp and been using it as it is for quite some time now.

I'm glad you found the build guide useful.

Cheers
Old 8th October 2013, 01:50 AM   #9
sjhomey is offline sjhomey  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Using Toshiba Mosfets?

I am rebuilding my F5, completed a couple of years ago, before this excellent build guide was around. I made some mistakes and am in the process of repopulating new boards. I have a couple pairs of Toshiba 2SK1530/2SJ201 mosfets and am wondering if I can use them without straying to far from this BOM. I would prefer to stay with the tried and true, but would like to use them if it could be easily done. I see some discussion in the original F5 thread regarding their use, but I don't know that a "best" setup was ever agreed on.
Thank you.
Old 8th October 2013, 02:08 AM   #10
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

If I recall correctly, the Toshiba needed only a bit more resistance across the bias pots to bias properly...

Ask jackinnj or blues. (send either a PM) They should know off the top of their head.

Hide this!Advertise here!