General diyAudio store feedback thread

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hi, I ordered a Universal PSU V3 back in November but sadly did not receive the order. Today I decided I would re-order but to my dismay I do not see the PayPal payment option> Is there a glitch in the page or am I blind?
Thanks!
Brian

We don't publicly offer a PayPal option anymore as they don't let you ask for a surcharge to cover their high fees. We can process the order manually for you however, for which there is a 2% surcharge for manual processing.

Helpdesk will be in touch shortly regards your November order (I hope that wasn't our fault!) and to take your new order.

I ordered a Galazy 1U aluminum case (330x170) for my DIY tube phono preamp and it only took two days to arrive from Italy! The fit and finish are very good and the top panel is sturdy enough to mount a transformer and tube sockets without exhibiting much flex. Very happy with my purchase.

Shipping Feedback

I ordered the Amp Camp Amp full kit on Oct 27, and received it today, Nov 4. It was shipped to Alberta, Canada. diyAudio charged $44 for UPS service, which is reasonable. What was not reasonable was UPS standing on my doorstep, demanding another $97 CAD, or $75 US. And hurry up, we're UPS, we're busy. Take it or leave it, but decide now.

My wife paid the fee, as I was not home. So I have the amp, which is good. But paying $119 for shipping is not good. It feels a little bit like a street mugging, but it happened on my front porch. On top of this, during the delivery, UPS mis-sorted the package and caused a delay. So I paid $119 for a delayed package that showed up in a week and a day. If it was next day delivery, that might be reasonable. But for 8-day delivery, it's highway robbery.

So, international buyers, especially Canucks, please beware. UPS is up to no good.

diyAudio Store, I have also written you an email. I would like to enlist your help in getting at least a partial refund of the money that UPS literally stole from me. Thanks in advance for your support.

I would also suggest you consider another international shipping partner other than UPS. I have heard good things about an organization called Borderfree.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
I ordered some Aleph J boards a couple of weeks ago but I have not received anything yet.

Jam.
Pass Labs

Hi Jam. We don't keep an eagle eye on this thread, sorry for missing your post. I assume by now you have contacted customer support (contact@diyaudiostore.com) and they have found your missing boards!

I ordered the Amp Camp Amp full kit on Oct 27, and received it today, Nov 4. It was shipped to Alberta, Canada. diyAudio charged $44 for UPS service, which is reasonable. What was not reasonable was UPS standing on my doorstep, demanding another $97 CAD, or $75 US. And hurry up, we're UPS, we're busy. Take it or leave it, but decide now.

My wife paid the fee, as I was not home. So I have the amp, which is good. But paying $119 for shipping is not good. It feels a little bit like a street mugging, but it happened on my front porch. On top of this, during the delivery, UPS mis-sorted the package and caused a delay. So I paid $119 for a delayed package that showed up in a week and a day. If it was next day delivery, that might be reasonable. But for 8-day delivery, it's highway robbery.

So, international buyers, especially Canucks, please beware. UPS is up to no good.

diyAudio Store, I have also written you an email. I would like to enlist your help in getting at least a partial refund of the money that UPS literally stole from me. Thanks in advance for your support.

I would also suggest you consider another international shipping partner other than UPS. I have heard good things about an organization called Borderfree.

Thanks for the feedback.

Canadians have long complained about UPS customs charges, and I agree this is not far from highway robbery.

Unfortunately, that's how UPS works. The problem is, they are the cheapest shipper, then they claw back the difference in customs fees.

Our warehouse partner (Shipwire) works out the cheapest shipping method for every level of service available. Usually that means 3 options - standard, priority, express but sometimes there are more or less and I am in the process of clarifying exactly which services belong to which classes so I can answer this matter comprehensively. There is no way for Shipwire to return more than the the 3 cheapest options, 1 for each shipping class, to Shopify (our store software).

We can however check all the shipping options manually. In your case, the options internally for the ACA kit (chassis and parts) are:

• $44.18 - UPS Standard (Service level: Ground)
  • $68.97 - USPS Priority Mail International (Service level: International Standard)
  • $106.11 - USPS Priority Mail Express International (Service level: International Premium)
  • $145.79 - UPS Expedited (Service level: International Plus)
  • $150.04 - UPS Expedited Signature Required (Service level: International Plus)
  • $166.02 - UPS Saver 1 day (Service level: 1 day)

If a customer wants us to, we can manually create an order (it's a little complicated but can be done and we're happy to do it on request) using any of the above shipping methods.

When you go to place your order using our current platform (Shopify) on The diyAudio Store, currently you'll see two options to choose from, and I'll make an assumption that the first 2, and the last 4 are grouped into unique shipping "categories" because the options presented are UPS Standard $44.18 and USPS Priority Mail Express International $106.11. Normally you'd see a "ground, priority, express" but in this case the priority is missing - I have contacted Shipwire to clarify.

A few key points:

1. We don't want to take away people's freedom to choose, and removing UPS would remove choice for customers which we would prefer not to do. That said, it's a problem if UPS is "hiding" other more expensive options in the same class, which customers would prefer access to. Looks like we only have two shippers available to ship items to Canada from our warehouse in PA, UPS and USPS.
  2. I can't explain why USPS Priority for $68.97 is not offered as an option. I will find out.
  3. From memory only, I recall that while UPS is cheaper that USPS Priority, they will hit you for a customs collection fee. USPS is more expensive, but they don't charge that fee. Which works out cheaper? I'm not sure, but I would love to hear hard facts and figures from Canadians with documented experiences using both UPS and USPS so we can make a truly educated and well informed decision about any changes.
  4. There is (last time I looked), no way to edit the Shopify checkout page where shipping options are presented. It would be great to have detailed information on each carrier or shipping method. For Chassis orders, I have actually written a custom system that can add a short bit of information to the description returned by Shipwire for a shipping method and display that (it's a a bit messy) as the radio button selection text. So that's something possible in the future, *if* I am able to compile water tight hard data on what the facts so a meaningful and accurate note can be added.

I will post more information when I have it. In regards to getting a refund from UPS, I don't think we have any recourse as you have already accepted the package, and from what I can tell, everything they have done is within their rights.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback.

Canadians have long complained about UPS customs charges, and I agree this is not far from highway robbery.

Unfortunately, that's how UPS works. The problem is, they are the cheapest shipper, then they claw back the difference in customs fees.

Our warehouse partner (Shipwire) works out the cheapest shipping method for every level of service available. Usually that means 3 options - standard, priority, express but sometimes there are more or less and I am in the process of clarifying exactly which services belong to which classes so I can answer this matter comprehensively. There is no way for Shipwire to return more than the the 3 cheapest options, 1 for each shipping class.

In your case, the options internally for the ACA kit (chassis and parts) are:

• $68.97 - USPS Priority Mail International (Service level: International Standard)
  • $106.11 - USPS Priority Mail Express International (Service level: International Premium)
  • $150.04 - UPS Expedited Signature Required (Service level: International Plus)

If a customer wants us to, we can manually create an order (it's a little complicated but can be done and we're happy to do it on request) using any of the above shipping methods.

When you go to place your order using our current platform (Shopify) on The diyAudio Store - DIY amplifier kits, chassis, and parts, currently you'll see two options to choose from, and I'll make an assumption that the first 2, and the last 4 are grouped into unique shipping "categories" because the options presented are UPS Standard $44.18 and USPS Priority Mail Express International $106.11. Normally you'd see a "ground, priority, express" but in this case the priority is missing - I have contacted Shipwire to clarify.

A few key points:

1. We don't want to take away people's freedom to choose, and removing UPS would remove choice for customers which we would prefer not to do. That said, it's a problem if UPS is "hiding" other more expensive options in the same class, which customers would prefer access to.
  2. I can't explain why USPS Priority for $68.97 is not offered as an option. I will find out.
  3. From memory only, I recall that while UPS is cheaper that USPS Priority, they will hit you for a customs collection fee. USPS is more expensive, but they don't charge that fee. Which works out cheaper? I'm not sure, but I would love to hear hard facts and figures from Canadians with documented experiences using both UPS and USPS so we can make a truly educated and well informed decision about any changes.
  4. There is (last time I looked), no way to edit the Shopify checkout page where shipping options are presented. It would be great to have detailed information on each carrier or shipping method. For Chassis orders, I have actually written a custom system that can add a short bit of information to the description returned by Shipwire for a shipping method and display that (it's a a bit messy) as the radio button selection text. So that's something possible in the future, *if* I am able to compile water tight hard data on what the facts so a meaningful and accurate note can be added.

I will post more information when I have it. In regards to getting a refund from UPS, I don't think we have any recourse as you have already accepted the package, and from what I can tell, everything they have done is within their rights.

Thanks for the reply, Jason. I still maintain there is something wrong with a system that tells a client they will be charged $44, and then ends up charging them $119. It's not fair and it's not ethical. Your shipper needs to declare full charges to the client before the purchase is made, not a week after.

By the way, the UPS delivery person that brought the package to the door said we could have gotten expedited service for another $10 above the $44, and no brokerage fees would have been charged. So something is rotten in Denmark....

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Thanks for the reply, Jason. I still maintain there is something wrong with a system that tells a client they will be charged $44, and then ends up charging them $119. It's not fair and it's not ethical. Your shipper needs to declare full charges to the client before the purchase is made, not a week after.

By the way, the UPS delivery person that brought the package to the door said we could have gotten expedited service for another $10 above the $44, and no brokerage fees would have been charged. So something is rotten in Denmark....

Customs fees are decided by the receiving country, therefore not something we can control or even know up front.

The expedited option shows as $100 more not $10, however I'm happy to start a research project to find out of this is apples/oranges. Usually the devil is in the details (box dimensions, weight, etc).

Can you please continue this discussion by email with us at support (contact@diyaudiostore.com) and send through the customs documentation you go so I can have a look at the exact fee breakdown in the ~USD75 customs fee.

We do have a great interest in helping customers avoid customs fees where possible and appreciate any feedback. We're actually tried many different things to reduce or eliminate customs fees for customers in the past, very few have actually been successful. Due to the "enterprise grade" warehousing and shipping systems, we're also "too legit" to be able to mark down product values in invoices.

Last edited:
Hi Jam. We don't keep an eagle eye on this thread, sorry for missing your post. I assume by now you have contacted customer support (contact@diyaudiostore.com) and they have found your missing boards!

Thanks for the feedback.

Our warehouse partner (Shipwire) works out the cheapest shipping method for every level of service available. Usually that means 3 options - standard, priority, express but sometimes there are more or less and I am in the process of clarifying exactly which services belong to which classes so I can answer this matter comprehensively. There is no way for Shipwire to return more than the the 3 cheapest options, 1 for each shipping class, to Shopify (our store software).

We can however check all the shipping options manually. In your case, the options internally for the ACA kit (chassis and parts) are:

When you go to place your order using our current platform (Shopify) on The diyAudio Store, currently you'll see two options to choose from, and I'll make an assumption that the first 2, and the last 4 are grouped into unique shipping "categories" because the options presented are UPS Standard $44.18 and USPS Priority Mail Express International $106.11. Normally you'd see a "ground, priority, express" but in this case the priority is missing - I have contacted Shipwire to clarify.

A few key points:

1. We don't want to take away people's freedom to choose, and removing UPS would remove choice for customers which we would prefer not to do. That said, it's a problem if UPS is "hiding" other more expensive options in the same class, which customers would prefer access to. Looks like we only have two shippers available to ship items to Canada from our warehouse in PA, UPS and USPS.

Hi Jason
I have no issues with any of your comments, generally speaking I think you guys are doing a good job. But....there has to be a way to make full costs transparent to the buyer, up front, prior to ordering.

In my case, you are correct, there were only two options: UPS for $44 and USPS for $111. If I had known the full cost of UPS was going to be $119, and I could have chosen USPS for $69 (that option was not available to me), I would have takes USPS in a heartbeat. Unfortunately I did not have that information, so I could not make an informed decision.

Thanks for your efforts and I hope your shipping service gets their issues worked out and improves the process for international buyers.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
It's taken some time to get to the bottom of it, but we've been engaging with the development team at Shipwire and now fully understand the parameters.

Due to limitations in the way Shipwire and Shopify talk to each other, for your specific situation only two "groups" of shipping methods are looked at, and UPS Ground and USPS Priority are lumped into the same group. UPS Ground is cheaper, and the cheapest method for that "group" is given as an option, effectively hiding USPS Priority which is $25 more expensive. UPS Priority is showing up in our systems as $100 more, not $10 more, so I'm not sure why the UPS guy told you that you could have got it for $10 more but maybe he knows something we don't, or he was mistaken.

We have taken the following action:

• Removed UPS as a shipping option for Canada

This allows USPS Priority to be selected as the cheaper of the two shipping options, and based on feedback over the years, while USPS is more expensive the customs and duty fees may end up being less. If someone really wants to ship with UPS instead of USPS, they are welcome to contact us at contact@diyaudiostore.com and we can give a full breakdown of every available shipping option including UPS (rather than Shopify showing the cheapest option for each "group").

In regards to clawing back anything from UPS for your shipment, we are happy to assist you if there is something we can do to help - please contact us by email and we'll do what we can.

Persistence Pays.....UPS Refund!

Hi Jason

Thank you for all your attention to this bothersome matter. I want to wrap this up once and for all......with some good news.

Basically, persistence pays. I filed a complaint with UPS regarding shipment of the ACA kit. I filled out a survey, expressing my dissatisfaction with UPS. Then I received an email from a real person at UPS, and we began a dialogue. In the end, UPS stated they would send me a refund of $68.25 CAD, which is the amount of their brokerage fee and tax.

Again, thanks for your help. In the future, I will be much more careful about my shipping choices.

It's taken some time to get to the bottom of it, but we've been engaging with the development team at Shipwire and now fully understand the parameters.

Due to limitations in the way Shipwire and Shopify talk to each other, for your specific situation only two "groups" of shipping methods are looked at, and UPS Ground and USPS Priority are lumped into the same group. UPS Ground is cheaper, and the cheapest method for that "group" is given as an option, effectively hiding USPS Priority which is $25 more expensive. UPS Priority is showing up in our systems as $100 more, not $10 more, so I'm not sure why the UPS guy told you that you could have got it for $10 more but maybe he knows something we don't, or he was mistaken.

We have taken the following action:

• Removed UPS as a shipping option for Canada

This allows USPS Priority to be selected as the cheaper of the two shipping options, and based on feedback over the years, while USPS is more expensive the customs and duty fees may end up being less. If someone really wants to ship with UPS instead of USPS, they are welcome to contact us at contact@diyaudiostore.com and we can give a full breakdown of every available shipping option including UPS (rather than Shopify showing the cheapest option for each "group").

In regards to clawing back anything from UPS for your shipment, we are happy to assist you if there is something we can do to help - please contact us by email and we'll do what we can.

I purchased many PCB boards and chassis from DIY stores. You named it: Alelph J, Jfet transistors, F4,F5, F6, Super PSU, B1, BA2,3, etc. The PCB and chassis are top notch. The shipping is fast. Packing is very well and superb. Communication with Elena and Jason has always been a pleasure. Your great customer service and care has always been consistent. Thank you for Elena and Jason. Never hesitate to buy again for my future DIY projects.

I in the UK:- Over the past few months I have purchased many items from the store. F5T boards, Jfet sets other bits and a few 5U chassis. The boards are of superb quality and took about 2 weeks to land on my doorstep.

The chassis (if your in Europe) you have to ordered direct from (HiFi2000) in Italy. Delivery took only a few days (big tick in the box) and are superb, all pre-drilled and ready to go.

To sum up:- If your considering a project, take a look in the store.

Thank You - Excellent Service

I received my package (order-VFET Essentials Kit Batch 3) on the 9th of this month in good condition.
I had requested for the EU kit without brackets (I'm not in the EU) & DIY Audio Store was kind enough to oblige and take the order.
My sincere thanks to Mr Nelson Pass & Team DIY Audio Store for making many DIYers around the world Happy.
Muthu Muthiah
Ps Note for customers from India - If you are lucky, you'll be spared by Indian Customs department! Otherwise they slam a customs duty of 35% (ie 35% of cost of goods+shipping charges+Insurance) My order for VFET Essentials kits attracted duty whereas the supplemental kit was spared!

Just had a great experience with Elena at diyAudio store. My order of 2 packs of LSJ74 was a package short when it arrived Friday. I dropped an email to customer service Saturday expecting to hear back Monday. Saturday night I received some emails from Elena and the notice for shipping the rest of my order was in my email this morning. Terrific and thanks to those involved with this store!

For the first time dealing with the diyAudio store but my impressions are 100% positive! Everything were as I expected - great business, great service, fast delivery, great communication before and after the item delivery so, to make a short conclusion, doing business with them is highly recommended !!!