Chassis Discussion - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > The diyAudio Store

The diyAudio Store A forum for discussing anything about the products available in The diyAudio Store.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th October 2012, 07:59 AM   #1
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Default Chassis Discussion

This thread is for discussions about any of the chassis. For more information on this product, please see the product page below.

Threads on diyAudio or elsewhere on the internet that show off what can be done with these chassis or give creative ideas:
  • No threads yet - yours could be the first! Let us know by posting in this thread and we'll stick it in here!

Last edited by Jason; 26th October 2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11th October 2012, 06:44 PM   #2
SRMcGee is offline SRMcGee  United States
diyAudio Member

Folks:

I'm most interested in the 5U / 400mm enclosures but don't want the pre-drilled rear panel offered with the "big ***" variant -- I want my own design, drilled, etched and colored. That means I want an aluminum rear panel. I am less concerned with whether the top and bottom panels are aluminum or steel.

My guess is that the majority of your intended audience would similarly want an aluminum rear panel, simply because they are far easier to work than the steel alternative. Also, Front Panel Express declines to work on steel, which is important to those of us who like their services.

I understand that others may disagree with me on this. My request: if you don't want to abandon the steel rear panels for the aluminum ones, please order additional aluminum 5U rear panels when you place your second order.

Regards,
Scott
Old 12th October 2012, 01:26 AM   #3
diyAudio Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRMcGee View Post
Folks:

I'm most interested in the 5U / 400mm enclosures but don't want the pre-drilled rear panel offered with the "big ***" variant -- I want my own design, drilled, etched and colored. That means I want an aluminum rear panel. I am less concerned with whether the top and bottom panels are aluminum or steel.

My guess is that the majority of your intended audience would similarly want an aluminum rear panel, simply because they are far easier to work than the steel alternative. Also, Front Panel Express declines to work on steel, which is important to those of us who like their services.

I understand that others may disagree with me on this. My request: if you don't want to abandon the steel rear panels for the aluminum ones, please order additional aluminum 5U rear panels when you place your second order.

Regards,
Scott
Hi Scott. My apologies for my poor web design which obviously didn't make it clear that we DO have spare blank back panels. When we add the chassis to the store navigation later today, it will be much clearer that there are spare back panels sitting in the accessories category.

We did plan for this scenario and got the extra blank aluminum back panels for people such as yourself that would want the freedom to do their own thing.

It's a "stop gap" solution we made specifically because we didn't want to order a another line of (big, expensive) 4U and 5U products with the first order. While it's a little more pricey and certainly counter-intuitive to pay more to have an extra blank back panel, it's what we have for now.

The direct link to the 5U back panel is here:

5U Aluminium Solid Back Panel - Accessories - Chassis
Old 12th October 2012, 03:10 PM   #4
SRMcGee is offline SRMcGee  United States
diyAudio Member

Jason:

This is helpful -- thank you! To be frank, I was hoping that diyaudio would offer options that were in line with what was originally proposed; i.e., I'd like to purchase 5U 400mm enclosures with pre-drilled heatsinks, perforated inner baseplates and aluminum rear panels. I could get there today by buying the "deluxe 5U" chassis and an aluminum rear panel, but would then have a steel panel, IEC and RCA connectors and speaker binding posts that I don't need.

I certainly understand that you guys are going at risk launching something entirely new for the diyaudio community, and you have my earnest appreciation. My hope is that once things stabilize and you have a chance to assess the success of this effort, you'll feel comfortable offering some additional chassis options.

Many, many thanks,
Scott
Old 12th October 2012, 03:17 PM   #5
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Nice range of prices to suit the finances of many Members.
$199 to $399.
Old 12th October 2012, 05:45 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
Nice range of prices to suit the finances of many Members.
$199 to $399.
And that's just for chassis with heatsinks!
Old 12th October 2012, 06:14 PM   #7
diyAudio Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRMcGee View Post
Jason:

This is helpful -- thank you! To be frank, I was hoping that diyaudio would offer options that were in line with what was originally proposed; i.e., I'd like to purchase 5U 400mm enclosures with pre-drilled heatsinks, perforated inner baseplates and aluminum rear panels. I could get there today by buying the "deluxe 5U" chassis and an aluminum rear panel, but would then have a steel panel, IEC and RCA connectors and speaker binding posts that I don't need.

I certainly understand that you guys are going at risk launching something entirely new for the diyaudio community, and you have my earnest appreciation. My hope is that once things stabilize and you have a chance to assess the success of this effort, you'll feel comfortable offering some additional chassis options.

Many, many thanks,
Scott
Hi Scott. Actually, you wouldn't have the IEC, RCA and binding posts. They are in a separate pack. You would have a CNC'd back panel though you would have to be creative with.

Definitely offering all-aluminum "DIY" as an option is on the cards. And then, we need to split it into pre-drilled and non-pre-drilled as well! For now, buying the back panel as an extra is the in between solution. We'll definitely look at how sales go, what is selling, what feedback we get, and order next time in line with what you guys are telling us that you want.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 17th October 2012, 04:31 PM   #8
bk856er is offline bk856er  United States
diyAudio Member

Would really love to see the "compact" chassis with an option of additional ventillation slots!

The footprint is perfect for many of my projects, and I'm ready to buy three units, but the current vent scheme is insufficient.

BK
Old 17th October 2012, 04:51 PM   #9
diyAudio Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk856er View Post
Would really love to see the "compact" chassis with an option of additional ventillation slots!

The footprint is perfect for many of my projects, and I'm ready to buy three units, but the current vent scheme is insufficient.

BK
Thanks BK. Yes those compact chassis are (IMHO) awesome little things, and they also have little brothers as well which we might stock in the next shipment (we had to draw the line somewhere).

Thanks for the feedback, we'll definitely consider models with additional venting. What kind of venting would you like to see (front to back, left to right, how many rows?) and what are you planning on using them for?
Old 17th October 2012, 04:59 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I would like to order one but only if you offer more affordable shipping options. To get one here in Canada, UPS will charge near $100.00 for brokerage fees, so this is $150.00 with the shippng fees... I would like to have standard USPS option.

Hide this!Advertise here!