Chassis Discussion - Page 27 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > The diyAudio Store

The diyAudio Store A forum for discussing anything about the products available in The diyAudio Store.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th June 2014, 12:54 PM   #261
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycello View Post
It looks like just about everything in the chassis department is sold out. When do you plan do restock? Thanks.
Your answer was posted recently. It seems like there is a new shipment arriving every 3-4 months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Thanks for your interest. About 2 months.
Old 15th July 2014, 03:54 AM   #262
chuckd is offline chuckd  United States
diyAudio Member

Default mounting screws and standoffs

Hi there,

I am building an F5T v2 and have the PCBs from the store. I am getting my parts together now and plan on buying a 5u chassis when available.

I'm not sure what screws for the mosfets and standoffs for the front end I need.

Here are my questions:

1. What thread length do I need for the brass hex M3 male x M3 female standoffs for the above chassis?

2. What is an appropriate body length for the above standoff?

3. What thread length M3 socket head screws do I need to secure the F/E to the standoffs (I guess it'll need to be maybe 2 or 3mm longer than the body length of the standoff)?

4. What thread length screws do i need to secure the mosfets to the chassis through the washer and mosfet?

Appreciate any help.
thanks
cd
Old 15th July 2014, 12:37 PM   #263
diyAudio Member

The easy solution is to buy the Premium back panel and PCB / Transistor / Diode mounting parts kit for the Deluxe Chassis - Accessories & Spare Parts - Chassis It's a good deal for quality parts that you know will fit. Next time that's what I am going to do.

It found that the mounting holes are tapped 5-6 mm deep. From there you can figure out how long you need to make the screws - enough to pass through parts and washers and give ~4 mm of engagement.

For standoffs, all they need to do is allow the leads and solder on the bottom of the board to clear the chassis. I use 1/4". Remember to allow for the board thickness when figuring screw length - 10-12 mm is where I come out.

For the mosfets, add 4 mm to the device, isolator and washer thicknesses. Another option I like (learned from AndrewT) is to use 20 mm screws so they are maximally engaged with the tapped threads. Use a nut on the screw to apply the pressure to hold the devices in place.
Old 15th July 2014, 01:54 PM   #264
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Bob,
I was reading your post263 and thinking to myself that much extra thinking is avoided by using the "too long" all thread screw and a nut.
I got to the end and smiled (a lot).
Old 15th July 2014, 02:24 PM   #265
chuckd is offline chuckd  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobEllis View Post
The easy solution is to buy the Premium back panel and PCB / Transistor / Diode mounting parts kit for the Deluxe Chassis - Accessories & Spare Parts - Chassis It's a good deal for quality parts that you know will fit. Next time that's what I am going to do.

It found that the mounting holes are tapped 5-6 mm deep. From there you can figure out how long you need to make the screws - enough to pass through parts and washers and give ~4 mm of engagement.

For standoffs, all they need to do is allow the leads and solder on the bottom of the board to clear the chassis. I use 1/4". Remember to allow for the board thickness when figuring screw length - 10-12 mm is where I come out.

For the mosfets, add 4 mm to the device, isolator and washer thicknesses. Another option I like (learned from AndrewT) is to use 20 mm screws so they are maximally engaged with the tapped threads. Use a nut on the screw to apply the pressure to hold the devices in place.
Bob, Thanks very much. I think I too will buy that back panel parts package if it's in stock when I begin the build.

The 5-6mm deep mounting holes I think is what I was after and hadn't thought about the solder on the bottom of the PCB. So thank you for bringing that to my attention to.
Old 15th July 2014, 03:46 PM   #266
diyAudio Member

Andrew, I like to give credit for ideas that are not my own. Thanks for passing that (and others) on.
Old 15th July 2014, 05:03 PM   #267
diyAudio Member

Hi,

It looks like most of the full width chassis are out of stock. Is there any estimate on when they will stocked once again? I am getting prepared to build a pair of F5T v3.

Thanks.
Old 15th July 2014, 05:19 PM   #268
diyAudio Member

They seem to come in every 3-4 months. Stock up and save next time they are in stock.
Old 29th July 2014, 12:16 AM   #269
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vdi_nenna
Any time frame on the 4u and 5u cases?

Thanks,

Vince
Old 29th July 2014, 08:43 AM   #270
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdi_nenna View Post
Any time frame on the 4u and 5u cases?

Thanks,

Vince
Hey Vince They are now in stock (in a slightly different configuration) but aren't public yet because I need to update the product information. We updated the back panel to allow much more flexibility for XLR, RCA, dual XLR and RCA, and combinations. I'll try to get them online ASAP!

Hide this!Advertise here!