Chassis Discussion - Page 18 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > The diyAudio Store

The diyAudio Store A forum for discussing anything about the products available in The diyAudio Store.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th September 2013, 08:35 PM   #171
Neville is offline Neville  United States
diyAudio Member

I also just noticed your base board is mounted wrong. The bottom rail must be mounted below the base board, not on top. If you keep it the way you have it now, you not going to be able to mount the bottom plate seamlessly. Unless it was your intention to have that gap at the bottom?

Last edited by Neville; 28th September 2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 28th September 2013, 09:49 PM   #172
diyAudio Member

The joy of precision. If the heat sink brackets aren't at their closest possible position they front plate holes don't line up. That makes it line up perfectly when assembled, though.

You'll need to get longer bolts to attach the tray to the rails when you move it to the proper position. 1/2" long 6-32 flatheads will do and allow the nut to be fully engaged. Go to 5/8" if you want to use a washer. While at the hardware store, get something to attach the feet. I used a self tapping sheet metal screw, but others don't like that. You will probably need to drill the brackets out a bit to use 6-32 bolts.
Old 28th September 2013, 10:12 PM   #173
bk856er is online now bk856er  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neville View Post
I had the same problem. When i finally got the 2 screws to the bottom left and right I had a hard time with the top left and right, so I loosened the screws to the heatink (top rail).

+1. Probably just need to loosen some other parts to "square things up" and get everything to properly align. I had that same experience. At first I wondered about the drilling precision, but after I modified my assembly technique it became clear that the case was superbly manufactured.

BK
Old 28th September 2013, 10:49 PM   #174
diyAudio Member

I also did what Bobellis suggested - drill the existing hole so it can fit larger bolts so it fits through the feet and then into the heatsink bracket and then into the base board and then put a washer and nut on it. I used a round head for this, but you have to use a flat head for joining the base board to the heatsink bracket.
Old 29th September 2013, 01:43 AM   #175
RonD2 is offline RonD2  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobEllis View Post
The joy of precision. If the heat sink brackets aren't at their closest possible position they front plate holes don't line up. That makes it line up perfectly when assembled, though.
This worked for me. I just forced the HS brackets as close together as possible and the tap just makes it into position.

I think I will leave the incorrect tray mounting for the moment. I didn't bother with the plastic feet. Just stuck on some heavy duty rubber feet. OK for now.

Love the chassis. Going to listen now.

Thanks to all!
Old 3rd October 2013, 02:01 PM   #176
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

Put the perforated baseplate OVER the bottom heatsink bracket -- then everything lines up.

You will need to make a run to the hardware store for nuts/bolts, as the included hardware isn't long enough for the perf base.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 4th October 2013, 01:04 PM   #177
RonD2 is offline RonD2  United States
diyAudio Member

I did reassemble it properly. Followed BobEllis' assembly order guide and it fit together like a glove. Would not have thought to begin by fitting the heat sinks to the front panel first.

Amp has been working fine. Very happy!
Old 4th October 2013, 07:02 PM   #178
diyAudio Member

Congrats! Glad you found my post useful.
Old 7th October 2013, 04:23 PM   #179
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

sorry if this has been asked before - but is there an option of a black anodized front panel. Given that the rest of the box is black, I would prefer a black front panel.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 7th October 2013, 05:34 PM   #180
diyAudio Member

Does anybody know if the 2u chassis handles are compatible with all 2u cases in the Store or is it specific to the thicker frontplates only?

Hide this!Advertise here!