Chassis Discussion

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Just bought the 5U (basic) this summer. I do have a few questions.

Are there assembly instructions? None came with it.

For the most part It makes sense (rails on the heatsinks form the support for the rest of it etc.) but the back panel and top/bottom panels all have a bent lip on each end (front and back edges for the top and bottom panels; top and bottom edges for the back panel). Which lip is on the outside? Neither way looks particularly better than the other.

Are fasteners provided for the feet? None of the ones provided with the kit are long enough. There are some black machine screws that I think hold the back cover on with nuts. I assume that the black sheet metal screws are for the top and bottom? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Matt

Administrator
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hello,
I have sent two emails to helpdesk@diyaudio.com trying to find out how to get the hardware (bolts, screws, etc.) for the Deluxe 5U Big Amp, but I am not getting any responses. My order did not come with any. How can I get these parts? Really frustrating.

hello Sonicman. Apologies for the delayed reply.

Kindly send me your order details so we can send you the missing screws. Thanks.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
5u chassis missing nuts, bolts and screws

Hello

I received the deluxe 5u chassis today.
It did not have mounting hardware in the packaging.
All that was included was 3 bolts and 5 nuts.

Has heat sinks, rails, perf base, top, botton front and back plates.

The packaging arrived in good shape.* It was completely seal at the factory.* Must be some error. Please send a replacement hardware kit as soon as possible.* My info is below.

Email to helpdesk@diyaudio.com failed.

Order # 100004597.

Thanks

Vince

Hi,

somewhere in the near future, I'd like to start building a dual mono Honey Badger. It will have two psu's and two 500VA (or 625VA, if I can fit them) toroidal transformers. I'm thinking of stacking the two transformers, if that is safe to do. Would all of this fit inside the 4u chassis? Does the 4u chassis come with risers, like the 5u, in order to stack the transformers? What would the more experienced builders among you recommend that I do?

And, since the unit appearently comes from Italy, can I order directly from the factory? This could save me a lot of overseas shipping costs, since I live in The Netherlands.

Thanks!

Regards,

James.

[Edit: This post may be in the wrong place. If so: please feel free to move it.]

Last edited:
The 4U chassis with heatsinks - I see one in stock. Of course I need two and my budget is blown :( are there any with damaged or missing front panels? If I order one, will identical ones be back in stock soon? Personally I would prefer to machine the front panels locally so it's a bit of a waste of money for me to pay for that part.

Yes, overall I would recommend buying from the DIYAudio store, especially if in North America. I just happen to have a partial machine shop at home and know a few businesses that get bored making everything from medical implants, parts for semiconductor facilities, copper stills and even kitchen sinks. They do fun work for beer on occasion :D

As I continue to drag on this long story, I thought the chassis would be the easiest part of the project. Tried ordering some Chinese 300mm x 145mm x 50mm (with 10mm base) heat-sinks at a price that was too good to be true, and eventually found they were not shipping because the actual size was 300 x 100 x 50! I have been searching for heatsinks around the world for a very long time, and the 100mm height I've never seen before so am skeptical the vendor is being truthful. He offered the 145mm version for an added increase in price so I asked for holes drilled as a counter offer.
I was warned the 145mm height would be just a little too small for dissipation - so from another vendor which I assumed was in Europe (but China again) 300mm "fan type" heat sinks with plans to bolt the two together, have the fins facing the center of the chassis (at top) so as not to interfere with convection of the vertical fins of the main heatsinks. I know a picture would help but I don't have either to work with right now. Using a tub of arctic silver and several through holes drilled for machine screws I'm hoping it will be enough to take care of each channel of the F4 clones I'm working on..
So here I am with all of the parts, and no heatsink...
Message me if you know an option, I plang to cancel the original order by this evening.
Here are the "fan" type heat sinks. I haven't actually seen one and can't say if they are going to work for what I had in mind.
1pcs Aluminum Heatsink for Amplifier ?Fan Type 300mmx93mmx63mm | eBay

See, DIYAudio store would have saved a bunch of headaches if I hadn't hesitated back when there were four in stock! Yes, I've looked to an Italian source but their website changed last month and now it's difficult to see what is being ordered. The descriptions have dropped the dimensions!

Last edited: