F-5 boards - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > The diyAudio Store

The diyAudio Store A forum for discussing anything about the products available in The diyAudio Store.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th October 2012, 02:15 PM   #11
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

That's the size limit of the store software image gallery. Thanks for pointing out that it could be ever better. Try this:

http://www.diyaudio.com/store/media/...rocessed-2.jpg
Old 16th October 2012, 04:45 PM   #12
labjr is offline labjr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JojoD818 View Post
What changes in the bias circuitry are you referring to? Could you please elaborate on that? The two schematics were drawn differently but still have the same bias circuitry the last time I checked except for the position of the thermistors which should not be an issue at all.

Regarding P3, iirc the boards have long been here before P3 came about. However, if the equipment needed to adjust it is available to you, then it is very easy to adopt the board to accept P3 without it looking messy or as you say, a kludge.
The thermistor is not connected to the rail but the other other side of the .47 ohm resistor. The resistors on the input are configured differently. P3 was added.

I don't think one neccessarily needs equipment to experiment with P3. The changes are audible. It would be nice to have the option anyway.

BTW, If the changes don't make a difference then why were they made?
Old 17th October 2012, 02:20 AM   #13
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Nelson Pass told me that originally the F-5 didn't have the P3 and they ended up spending way too much time with the Audio Precision swapping out resistors to set the amp to the "sweet spot" He then made the changes- added the pot to make it much easier to set the amp to the lowest distortion, again, using the AP. He said that in his opinion you can't set it to lowest distortion by ear. Now he does say it changes the sound, so it might be fun to play with, but for now we're going to stick with not having the P3. I don't think it would look kludgy at all to add it though- get a full sized pot- the type with the short slotted shaft and mount it right next to the board. I think it would look cool, you may not agree, but it can be done.

We have way too many projects to get to, including the F-5 turbo so we have to choose our battles.

Last edited by Variac; 22nd October 2012 at 05:31 AM.
Old 17th October 2012, 03:56 AM   #14
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by labjr View Post
The thermistor is not connected to the rail but the other other side of the .47 ohm resistor. The resistors on the input are configured differently. P3 was added.
Thank you for elaborating.

The thermistors will work either way, it will affect the bias as it is still effectively connected to the rail even via the 0.47 ohm resistor.

The input resistors are changed to lower the impedance, either configuration should work.

We have already discussed about the P3.

Quote:
I don't think one neccessarily needs equipment to experiment with P3. The changes are audible. It would be nice to have the option anyway.
We respect your opinions and will surely take it under consideration.

Quote:
BTW, If the changes don't make a difference then why were they made?
To show the world that the F5 design is so flexible.
Old 17th October 2012, 05:07 PM   #15
labjr is offline labjr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variac View Post
Nelson Pass told me that originally the F-5 didn't have the P3 and they ended up spending way too much time with the Audio Precision swapping out resistors to set the amp to the "sweet spot" He then made the changes- added the pot to make it much easier to set the amp to the lowest distortion, again, using the AP. He said that in his opinion you can't set it to lowest distortion by ear. Now he does say it changes the sound, so it might be fun to play with, but for now we're going to stick with not having the P3. I don't think it would look kludgy at all to add it though- get a full sized pot- the type with the short slotted shaft and mount it right next to the board. I think it would look cool, you may not agree, but it can be done.

We hve way too many projects to get to, including the F-5 turbo so we have to choose our battles.
I'm not saying it can't be done, just that there's been a few updates to the circuit and it would be nice to have them incorporated into a new board instead of cutting traces and gluing parts on. I'm not sure a full sized pot for P3 that's off of the board wouldn't cause a hum, noise or oscillation.

Thanks for the explanation though.
Old 21st October 2012, 09:49 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Will the DIY store carry the F-5 Turbo board?

Russellc
Old 22nd October 2012, 05:27 AM   #17
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Yes, and it's actually 3 or 5 boards to make 2 channels. Not hard to hook up though. Your wait will pay off!
Old 22nd October 2012, 05:03 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variac View Post
Yes, and it's actually 3 or 5 boards to make 2 channels. Not hard to hook up though. Your wait will pay off!
Thought that was the understanding, I'll be glad to wait, several other projects to finish, but am collecting parts!

Russellc
Old 4th November 2012, 06:32 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

What are people doing for a power supply for the F5? I have my boards and am starting to order the components.
Old 23rd November 2012, 09:07 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Default F5 V2.0 board vs. various schematics???!!!!!

I purchased two of the V2.0 boards from the store, never dreaming that they wouldn't have provision to adapt to the latest schematic.

I understand that P3 isn't on the board, that's not an issue. The issue is being able to stuff the board from the most recent schematic on which the part numbers are different from the original, and the circuit has changes as well.

The store shows the original schematic, but does nothing to help this situation.

I want to build the most recent schematic but could sure use some help with an updated stuffing guide, otherwise I guess I should return the V2.0 boards and look for a more recent design?

Sure would appreciate some help with this; every other purchaser must face the same dilema!

Jeff

Hide this!Advertise here!