Speaker Turn On Delay and DC Protector Board Set (V2)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
why is there a need for a transistor? The thermal switch will open and shut the connection once it sense more than 70 degrees.

Thanks.
a normally closed switch will open on overtemp.
It cannot "shut the connection" if it has gone "open" on overtemp.

A normally closed switch if suitably rated could be used in the mains supply to your transformer primary.

A normally closed switch with a transistor to invert it's operation can be used to shut down the delay relays, by pulling base of q3 low.

In this schematic if one channel has +V offset, and the second has -V offset, the summing point will remain 0V, then, the relays will not open.

I agree that it's very unlucky, but...

It is not entirely unlucky, but it is unlikely.

However worse case it may be, if it did happen, the differential voltage at the summing point will still shut the circuit down.

What relais to choose ?

I am finished gathering parts but I am reluctant on using the GL5 relais (10A) on the outputs of a F5T.

The circuit is, accordingly to NP, able to deliver around 44 Amps max and I was wondering if the GL-5 relais with it's 10A rating would work in case of a failure.

I found some 70 Amps automotive relais, but having taken those apart once, I don't want to use them either.

Any thoughts on the GL-5 as according to the BOM with high output amps ?

Thanks in advance for you help!

Cheers,

Max

NP's arc welder currents can only be delivered into a very low impedance load. With an 4 ohm nominal load, let's assume it dips to 3 ohms at crossover. You'd be hard pressed to exceed the relay's operating current, even with a shorted output device and the usual 30V rails. If in doubt, parallel a couple of GL5s or use one board per channel.

Bob,

thanks a lot for your insight.

The amp is actually running on 48V rails, but anyway I found 16A relais having the same footprint and will go for those (still GL5 series).

As I am building 2 mono-blocks and the PCB is providing space for 2 relais I might go the way of paralleling those....

Not very "esoteric" or "audiofool", but hey....

Cheers,

Max

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.