Speaker Turn On Delay and DC Protector Board Set (V2) - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > The diyAudio Store

The diyAudio Store A forum for discussing anything about the products available in The diyAudio Store.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th December 2012, 10:43 AM   #41
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseas View Post
Update: I did some more testing and I decided to use 18k sensing resistors. With this value it switches off at 3v, which is enough I believe, so I leave them like that.
Purple Blinker is alive!
Congrats on your build!

Would you mind sharing the transistor values you used?
Old 12th December 2012, 11:01 AM   #42
Nikitas is offline Nikitas  Greece
diyAudio Member

I used 27k 25k, 22k, 18k, 17k.
I have only one bench power supply which I used to power the board with 24v.
Testing for DC offset was done with batteries, 9v,3v,1,5v.
27k 25k and 22k gave me the same results. When I used the 3v batteries relay was going on off constantly. Looks like I was on the threshold. with the 18 and 17 k and 3v bat. i could securely switch off the relays.
None of the resistor values switched off the relays when using 1,5v.
When I'll plug the board on the amp, then the bench psu will be free for some more extensive testing. What I'm looking for now is what is the speaker tolerance.For example is it best to keep the threshold at 3,2 or 1,5v?Or higher?
There is a kit in the market that has a threshold of 1v but I believe this is too low.

Last edited by Nikitas; 12th December 2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12th December 2012, 11:15 AM   #43
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseas View Post
..............has a threshold of 1v but I believe this is too low.
Why do you believe this?
Old 12th December 2012, 11:19 AM   #44
Nikitas is offline Nikitas  Greece
diyAudio Member

To avoid accidental switching when listening loud.
Old 14th December 2012, 12:46 PM   #45
WalterW is offline WalterW  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I have used BC546B transistors instead of the 2SC945, and a MPSA42 instead of the CS9013. I use 2 x 12V DC Omron relays. I tried to use the circuit at 24V DC.
But I'm experiencing strange problems... The flip flop is blinking at a too high frequency, so it's steady on. And the relays are switching almost immediately at power on. Only if I lower the voltage from 24 to about 10 to 16 volts I see the LED blinking ( frequency goes down with lower voltage). And only around 18 Volts the timedelay is about 2 a 3 seconds before the relays switches. Under 17 Volts the relays don't switch anymore. ( thats normal).
Why do i have this behaviour? Is it because of the BC546B's or the MPSA42?
Should I take a larger capacitor for C3 for a longer timedelay? Should I take larger capacitors for the flip flop to lower the frequency?
Old 14th December 2012, 12:49 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Oh, by the way... When I put DC voltage on the "AMP-in" inputs the relays fall off...so that seems to work..
Old 14th December 2012, 02:07 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Ah, I got the impression from the building guide it was universal, cause it says just to change the transformervoltage when using different DC relay voltage in the circuit. They don't mention to alter the capacitors and so on....
Old 15th December 2012, 01:41 AM   #48
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterW View Post
Hi,

I have used BC546B transistors instead of the 2SC945, and a MPSA42 instead of the CS9013. I use 2 x 12V DC Omron relays. I tried to use the circuit at 24V DC.
But I'm experiencing strange problems... The flip flop is blinking at a too high frequency, so it's steady on. And the relays are switching almost immediately at power on. Only if I lower the voltage from 24 to about 10 to 16 volts I see the LED blinking ( frequency goes down with lower voltage). And only around 18 Volts the timedelay is about 2 a 3 seconds before the relays switches. Under 17 Volts the relays don't switch anymore. ( thats normal).
Why do i have this behaviour? Is it because of the BC546B's or the MPSA42?
Should I take a larger capacitor for C3 for a longer timedelay? Should I take larger capacitors for the flip flop to lower the frequency?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterW View Post
Ah, I got the impression from the building guide it was universal, cause it says just to change the transformervoltage when using different DC relay voltage in the circuit. They don't mention to alter the capacitors and so on....
Except for the relays being different, I have been using two identical boards for 12V and 24V without too much change from the flipflop or the r-c timer.

Changing the value of the flipflop and c3 caps will of course alter the time constants of both. But before you do, please check that everything else is of the right value and that they are where they should be. As I have said above, been using/testing both on 12V and 24V supplies without any problems and so it was not mentioned in the build guide anymore.
Old 20th December 2012, 08:35 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

Problems solved!
For 24V with BC546B's I made the following changes:
- R5 from 470 Ohm to 2K7. To lower the voltage of the flip-flop.
- C1 and C2 from 2u2 to 10uF, to lower the frequency some more.
- The RC with R6 and C3 was changed to 1MOhm and 220 uF. Now I have around 4 seconds delay.
- I also changed R8 from 1K to 22KOhm because T6 switches around 7.5 Volts ( I think Vbe + zenervoltage) and in the 24 Volts version it switches immediately cause the voltage is always above 8 Volts on the emitter of T3.
Everyting works fine now, between 20 - 28 volts.
Maybe this is usefull for the European DiY's where BC5xx series is very common.
Old 21st December 2012, 12:02 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Hello guys,

I need only the soft start boards. Is there any way to buy only this?

Thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!