Power Supply Soft Start Board (V2) - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > The diyAudio Store

The diyAudio Store A forum for discussing anything about the products available in The diyAudio Store.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th December 2012, 02:29 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

I have question about the power switches to be used for this board. I'm going to be using it with the F5 amp.

I'm using a 10a power entry module with a switch and fuses. Do I need to use an second power switch wired to the PWR_SW terminals on the Softstart board?

Thanks!
Old 16th December 2012, 10:36 PM   #32
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQuaide View Post
I have question about the power switches to be used for this board. I'm going to be using it with the F5 amp.

I'm using a 10a power entry module with a switch and fuses. Do I need to use an second power switch wired to the PWR_SW terminals on the Softstart board?

Thanks!
no need for additional power switch.....

how big is your power traffo and how many ufd is your psu caps?

up to about 400VA i wouldn't even bother with a soft start circuit...except maybe if you have about 100,000ufd of capacitor filtering....
Old 16th December 2012, 11:34 PM   #33
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQuaide View Post

Thanks!
Like Tony said, there is no need for a separate switch. However, you must put a jumper wire between pwr_sw1 and pwr_sw2 pads.
Old 17th December 2012, 04:38 AM   #34
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
. . . . . . . . .Vac
VA . . . 115Vac . . 230Vac
100 . . . . 270r . . . 390r
200 . . . . 180r . . . 270r
400 . . . . 120r . . . 180r
800 . . . . .82r . . . 150r
1600 . . . . 68r . . . 120r
up to about 400VA power traffo i would not recommend the use of soft start circuit at all, unless you are using a torroid and have tons of filter caps, about 40,000 or more....

if you are using a power switch rated for 15A, then no soft start circuit is required, again the exception is if using a torroid and that you have lots of filter caps....

in all cases, a Dale 10ohm/50watt aluminum clad resistor in series with you power traffos will do.....in addition, having a power switch rated for 15 amps or more is even better...

i have no idea how AndrewT derived his table values, he does not explain so it is useless....

a delay of about 3 seconds is all that is needed, and no need to be even too precise, 3.1 or 2.8 seconds won't really matter...

even for speaker time delay, a timing period of 4 seconds and up is enough to kill the turn-on transients(prevent it from reaching the speakers), 3.8, 5.5, or even 6 seconds hardly matter, no need to be too precise, the 555 timer lowers the parts count if you wish.....
Old 17th December 2012, 12:26 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

I'm using a 400VA Antek transformer and 8x 15,000uf caps.
Old 22nd December 2012, 09:20 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

I am posting this here too, to avoid being drowned in all other messages.

Why do I need to buy the speaker protection board, as I only would need the Power supply softstart board?
I'm building the NAGY-Amp, wich have the speaker protection built in.
Old 22nd December 2012, 10:02 AM   #37
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANDBERGEREN View Post
I am posting this here too, to avoid being drowned in all other messages.

Why do I need to buy the speaker protection board, as I only would need the Power supply softstart board?
I'm building the NAGY-Amp, wich have the speaker protection built in.
Great question. The reason for this is that we want to give you the best prices possible. We pay a per-item packing fee to our fulfillment center, which means we can't really sell small, low value items without either adding that fee to each item and significantly increasing the price, or losing most (or all) of our profit.

We currently absorb that packing fee (we don't charge you packing fee at all, we pay it ourselves) and we also don't make any money on your shipping rate - what you pay for the shipping is exactly what we pay to USPS/UPS/Fedex/etc, plus you get access to our merchant preferred rates which are in most cases even cheaper than the public gets from those shippers.

Since both those boards are "related", rather than sell them separately and have to charge a lot more for each one, we opted to bundle them together and sell the pair at a more much more reasonable price to offer the best value for money possible. This is the same reason we sell most of our boards as two-packs or sets, instead of individually.

So, thanks for letting us know you are interested in purchasing the speaker protection board separately. We're always really interested to hear what you want and how we can be doing things better. We'll definitely give some thought to offering it separately in the future, especially if we grow and economies of scale help with our pricing models.

Last edited by Jason; 22nd December 2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 23rd December 2012, 12:30 PM   #38
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

I need to build this softstart circuit for my new amplifier psu that uses two 250VA TX in parallel.

I will buy the boards but want to keep other expenses to a minimum so I would like to avoid buying the 24v relay as I allready have some 12V ones in my stock. Can I replace the 24v zener (D13) by a 12v one and use my existing 12v relay ?
Old 23rd December 2012, 12:34 PM   #39
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Two transformers equals two relays to bypass the two sets of soft start resistors/thermistors.

Another unhelpful post?
Old 23rd December 2012, 02:21 PM   #40
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Hi Andrew

The two transformers have their primaries connected in parallel to the mains.

The secondries are in series so I can get out + - 26AC with a center tap.

PS: Allready told you I always find your posts to be VERY helpfull

Can I use a 12v zener to feed the 12v relay ?
Attached Images
File Type: png New psu layout.png (69.5 KB, 482 views)

Last edited by RCruz; 23rd December 2012 at 02:27 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!